Views: 456|Replies: 5

1 Reason to Miss USA: Laptops Cheaper in USA than in PRC [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-10 17:05:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2017-8-10 17:09

Dell Inspirons and XPS are made in China, yet when I compare similar models, they are cheaper in USA than in China.WTF!

My Chinese is nowhere good enough to navigate Alibaba in China, so I had to go to a Dell dealer.
I literally had to twist his arms to give me something similar, and only by voiding the manufacturer's warranty by cracking open the laptop and installing widgets after delivery, like an extra 8GB of SD-DRAM and a lousy 480GB SSD to replace the steam-engine era 5400RPM hard disk drive.
It's still about 1400kwai more than a similar model in USA. Bummer

I don't mind voiding manufacturer's warranty, I used to do that a lot, ripping computers apart and building from scratch, but here in China, a hi-end laptop?

Here's an idea for Chinese tourists visiting USA, buy your laptops in USA!

Grumble, I am flying back to USA...

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 17:15:50 |Display all floors
There, see what I mean?Find one like that for me in Shanghai, for the same price at exchange rate 7:1
Just popped up on my screen too...

DellInspiron.JPG

covfefe to all you Usanians !
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 17:17:26 |Display all floors
A "TOUCH SCREEN" to boot.

I am checking airline ticket prices... but not United as I don't want my face to be beaten up.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-11 15:59:49 |Display all floors
What about the maintenance?
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 18:02:47 |Display all floors
tailorsas Post time: 2017-8-11 15:59
What about the maintenance?

Back a while ago, I used to buy IBM Thinkpads before IBM got out of the laptop manufacturing business. I would buy in Hongkong and when I returned home, had them serviced in Australia. In HK, I had parts pulled out of a Thinkpad.
The warranty says that the laptop will be returned to manufacturer for servicing, and the manufacturers are here in China.

Any of the name brands would have outlets that can service your laptops, I am about to get one of them to pull apart my Dell XPS for servicing because it keeps overheating and rejects the new battery. I bought the XPS in USA.

Why can't you service it yourself? If you can pull apart a VW Beetle and reassemble it, you can service the laptop yourself.

What's there to service? What did you do?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-14 03:54:33 |Display all floors
if living in CN, buy LENOVO, its IBM, as U kno.... price/quality ratio is very reasonable
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.