Views: 4359|Replies: 10

ANU professor warns students not to cheat in Mandarin [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-10 14:05:22 |Display all floors
A professor of the Australian National University used a PPT at a computer class to show that he will not tolerate plagiarism or cheating by any of the students. Unfortunately, the use of Mandarin has sparked off outrage among Chinese students. Later he sent an email and offered them apology. What do you think? Did the professor discriminate against Chinese students?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 14:05:36 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 19:30:03 |Display all floors
WE also have to listen to a recorded msge in English telling us to stand on the right side of the escalator in subway stations!!
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 20:38:47 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-8-10 14:05

Chinese students are good at cheating since examinations were introduced to measure their understanding of materials learnt.
Most of them studying overseas pride themselves and bragged in public.
Recently, some students sent overseas said that they did not prepare but got top scores because their tests were given to them weeks ahead for preparation.
NO WONDER THEY ALWAYS FAIL AND EVEN TOOK THEIR OWN LIVES!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-10 23:52:43 |Display all floors
I do not believe it was shown to specifically address Chinese students.  Instead it was politeness to also show in Chinese language since there are many Chinese students. In the USA it might be shown in several different languages as well.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-8-11 01:55:59 |Display all floors
The professor erred by only putting it in Chinese.  He'd have been better off to use Mandarin, Indian (Hindi?) and Bahasa, as that pretty much covers most of the students.  

I can understand his frustration though.  When a friend of mine was doing her MBA there was an "open text" exam which was taken online.  20 of the Indians in the class all got together at one house to answer the questions by cheating.  This sort of event is quite common at many universities these days and all students tend to get involved.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-11 13:09:20 |Display all floors
I don't see where the problem is.....
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.