Author: ceciliazhang

Is forced donation moral?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-10 11:09
"Forced donation" sounds so very Chinese! The Party has a long tradition of forcing commoners to mak ...

Sounds more like forced monetary donations in some western churches and religeous orders.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

msrong Post time: 2017-8-11 14:14
Sounds more like forced monetary donations in some western churches and religeous orders.

I hope you will be forced to donate money next time you go to a church to take pictures.

Use magic tools Report

parcher Post time: 2017-8-10 18:39
A few yrs back I was in Zhaoqing attending a new years festival which was held in a farmers barn. Th ...

... and some of the country yokels probably donated 888 yuan a person, so you laowai looked decidedly parsimonious...

Use magic tools Report

GhostBuster Post time: 2017-8-10 20:40
You said that you tour Europe twice annually and never set foot on China but always spread rumour  ...

On Mao's 99th birthday bash I donated 99 kuai to him In those days that was a fortune.

Use magic tools Report

ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-8-11 09:24
Anyone can't force others to donate because then it's not a donation. Donation should be a voluntary ...

To be honest, I learnt about the "forced" characteristic of "donations" in China through my wife.

In the first two years of her working at her place of work, she was asked at least once every three months to attend a dinner held by a high-ranking official from her work unit.

No one was immune to the unwritten law and its wrath if you broke it! You have to attend, full stop. OK, "attend" does not mean to partake of the meal. It means you have to show your respect to the host by donating a tithe that is worth at least three times the cost of the meal for one person.

It was interesting that only high-ranking officials could play the role of a host whereas the small potatoes always were the paying "guests"...

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-8-11 15:14
... and some of the country yokels probably donated 888 yuan a person, so you laowai looked decide ...

some were giving more yes, but I think 200 rmb was reasonable. take a minimum of 200 rmb a person would add up to a minimum of 60,000 rmb....
not bad for 30 mins work
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-8-11 15:15
On Mao's 99th birthday bash I donated 99 kuai to him In those days that was a fortune.

With this comment, seneca confirms it is in its last phase of life on Earth!
With its own verification, seneca is on in its last phase of life on Earth!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.