Author: voice_cd

Pray for those affected by earthquakes [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-9 09:25:27 |Display all floors

The quake occurred around 9.20pm (local time) in a remote region of Sichuan province not far from the site of a massive 8.0-magnitude earthquake in 2008 that left 87,000 people dead or missing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-9 09:34:16 |Display all floors
Let's pray.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-8-9 14:22:20 |Display all floors
I felt the quake last nite, few of my workmates did tho.      

Have no idea why the earthquake always falls 4 that part of SC (Jiuzhaigou is not far from Wenchuan). Alas...! As 4 XJ, I'd been used 2 various small earthquakes since I was a child.      

Sad. Pray 4 the people.     
Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-8-9 14:31:38 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2017-8-9 14:22
I felt the quake last nite, few of my workmates did tho.      

Have no idea why the earthq ...

"Have no idea why the earthquake always falls 4 that part of SC (Jiuzhaigou is not far from Wenchuan)."

Ask a Seismologist.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-8-9 14:40:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2017-8-9 15:16
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-8-9 14:31
"Have no idea why the earthquake always falls 4 that part of SC (Jiuzhaigou is not far from Wenchu ...

Why Do Earthquakes Happen?

Earthquakes are usually caused when rock underground suddenly breaks along a fault. This sudden release of energy causes the seismic waves that make the ground shake. When two blocks of rock or two plates are rubbing against each other, they stick a little. They don't just slide smoothly; the rocks catch on each other. The rocks are still pushing against each other, but not moving. After a while, the rocks break because of all the pressure that's built up. When the rocks break, the earthquake occurs. Duringthe earthquake and afterward, the plates or blocks of rock start moving, and they continue to move until they get stuck again. The spot underground where the rock breaks is called the focus of the earthquake. The place right above the focus (on top of the ground) is called the epicenter ofthe earthquake.

Where Do Earthquakes Happen?

Earthquakes occur all the time all over the world, both along plate edges and along faults.

Along Plate Edges

Most earthquakes occur along the edge of the oceanic and continental plates. The earth's crust (the outer layer of the planet)is made up of several pieces, called plates. The plates under the oceans are called oceanic plates and the rest are continental plates. The plates are moved around by the motion of a deeper part of the earth (the mantle)that lies underneath the crust. These plates are always bumping into each other, pulling away from each other, or past each other. The plates usually move at about the same speed that your fingernails grow. Earthquakes usually occur where two plates are running into each other or sliding past each other.

plates.gif

FIGURE 1 - AN IMAGE OF THE WORLD'S PLATES AND THEIR BOUNDARIES. NOTICE THAT MANY PLATE BOUNDARIES DO NOT COINCIDE WITH COASTLINES.

Along Faults

Earthquakes can also occur far from the edges of plates,along faults. Faults are cracks in the earth where sections ofa plate (or two plates) are moving in different directions. Faults are caused by all that bumping and sliding the plates do. They are more common near the edges of the plates.

Source:http://www.geo.mtu.edu

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-8-9 15:24:40 |Display all floors
The dead are in my thoughts and may those who lost their homes be safe and rebuild their lives as quickly as possible.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-9 19:35:54 |Display all floors
How many times must this happen before people and the government start building houses that are safe in these earthquake sensitive areas?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.