Author: ceciliazhang

Should China implement compulsory military service? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-1 21:35:01 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-8-1 17:54
This is good! It will produce a large pool of talents from which top talents could be selected thr ...

I have no idea what you are talking about, at least in reference to my comment to which you replied. What does military service have to do with national talent pool? You want to build a facist empire?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 23:23:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-8-1 23:26

Yes, because compulsory military service instills discipline, fosters camaraderie and promotes patriotism. All males and females between 18 to 25 must be required to undergo compulsory military service for a period of at least six months before they're allowed to apply for college or get a job. Other East Asian countries such as S. Korea, Taiwan and Singapore have compulsory military service as well.

After completion of their basic military boot camp, those who are qualified must undergo another six months of training before they're inducted into the reserve corps of the PLA which would function a civilian militia in times of national emergency.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 09:30:20 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-8-1 23:23
Yes, because compulsory military service instills discipline, fosters camaraderie and promotes patri ...

Purpose of complusory military training gives the youth, both female and male the opportunity to be trained with a useful skill. At the same time, those who more qualified could further their studies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 09:31:42 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-1 21:35
I have no idea what you are talking about, at least in reference to my comment to which you replie ...

You know nothing about the complusory military training, so please do not comment.
For your information, in US some of our top talents were from the military program. Just to mention, but you definitely do not know anyone of them. If you have studied optics, you should know how speed of light was measured.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 12:18:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2017-8-2 13:06
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-8-2 09:27
You do not understand the need for military service!
Please read more so that you grow up fast!

For the record, I come from country where we have compulsory military service (for males). It is less than 10% of each generation, who in later life have any use for the training. Those who do, typically find careers in police, peacekeeping, or the military itself. A random factory worker or office clerk not so much.

Note that this is really a military service, with military skills. There is option to choose civilian service of 1 year instead.

And my home country does not have 1.4 billion people. China has - if you only take a handful few millions of that every year (persons who really want to do it) you will should have reserve big enough for anything - if for some reason you don't, then it is problem with the quality.

And that's what your leaders are calling for also - quality over quantity.

China cannot financially afford to send every able bodied man and woman in their best studying or working ages to do service that does not greatly benefit the economy or their own future. You are having fewer an fewer tax payers as it is.

Did you do miltary service, and how much has it benefited your career?

In USA military service is a way for civilian profession without having to pay for it with money. You get a training in civilian field in exchange for agreeing to service in the military for some time.

That could work in China too - but it is not same as universal conscription, where everyone must do military service even if they don't want or need it.

In my home country the state sponsors education free to every citizen (higher education included), so there is no need to provide this kind of civilian education through military service.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 17:05:27 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-8-1 23:23
Yes, because compulsory military service instills discipline, fosters camaraderie and promotes patri ...

Been in the army have we?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-2 17:06:53 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-8-1 17:49
Yes, Complusory Military Service for all able citizens will instill in them the concept of responsib ...

Been in the military

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.