Views: 2128|Replies: 20

What is normal in China but is beyond your understanding   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-1 11:32:45 |Display all floors
Something interesting will happen if two cultures encounter. Many Foreigners who come to China find out that many Chinese have different ways of thinking and acting. So is there anything that is normal in China, but is beyond your understanding?

I have an Australian friend, and he told me that he loves China, but there were 2 things  he could not understand:He said he often found SOME Chinese:

1.pick their noses in public, as if there were no one around
2.spit wherever they want, sometimes make very loud and disgusting sound

And another American Teacher told us he could not understand why do Chinese eat dogs...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 11:37:14 |Display all floors
Andy Warwick lived in Shanghai since 2007, and he listed few things that he could not understand in China.
However, this has nothing to do with cultural discrimination or criticism. It is just people stand on different angles about culture.
Many Chinese think that is normal, but for many foreigners, that is strange.

For example:

personal space is not that important to Chinese, espcially on subways and  buses.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 11:50:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tailorsas at 2017-8-1 11:51

This could happen in any countriy as you will find subway in any big metropolis could be crowded as hell.

You can tell immediately what kind of people spit everywhere, workers who were poorly educated or upstarts who were also poorly educated (technically most of them). You don't see college students spit, you don't see business men spit. There is still a long way to go.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 17:43:47 |Display all floors
Yes, you are correct!
While waiting for flight, a young mother took her son to urinate into the bin, just outside the toilet. She told her son to do again, if he wanted.
There are just too many unsightedly acts that most Chinese do not know that they should not do in public.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 18:09:53 |Display all floors
Sleeping in restaurants! (see my blog "Sleepy China)
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 19:00:39 |Display all floors
Definitely the face culture...
I have had many examples where it has caused some serious issues
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-1 19:17:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1626548377 at 2017-8-1 19:30

My motto is adapt or go back to your home country.
There are somethings I've adapt to, to staying in China.  Me and my wife bought an apartment 9 years ago in a good security area, when the buildings was 3 years old.
What I don't understand:
1.  We pay RMB 220 every 2 months for cleaning of the complex area, that was done nicely for approximately 2 years after we moved in, now a days they still clean but not as good as the beginning, and no one complain about it.
2.  They did some repair work to some steam and gas lines where they broke the paving and just fill it up with sand without fixing the paving bricks and once again no one complain.
3.  About 2 years ago some residents start applying heating material on the outside of their apartments, and if painted not one are the same color, and some stay the grey cement color.

What is beyond my understanding, has the Chinese people no pride in the area where they stay.  In general, especially apartment buildings and roadside walkways the Chinese has got no clue about proper maintenance and cleaning.
But as I say, adapt or go back home.   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.