Author: JFenix

White America’s Unshakeable Confidence in the Police   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-7-22 23:21:23 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-7-22 20:04
Usanians have to learn to respect the law enforcers and the law; the citizens are not above the  ...

Do you think the australian girl was showing disrespect to the police before they shot and killed her?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-23 08:02:45 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-7-21 23:59
The statistics show that young black males are involved in more crime than their numbers would predi ...

We tend to judge the white population as if they are all in the middle class.  The poor white trash people and rednecks just don't exist when we think of 'white people' in the US.  But when we think of the black population, its the opposite.  We ignore the the middle and upper class blacks and only think of the criminal elements in the 'inner cities'.  

Truth is,  the middle class and upper class have about the same crime rate regardless of race or religion.

There are just more of a percentage of poor blacks than with white.

Both include bad elements.  I'm more afraid of white rednecks than 'inner city thugs'.  But its just due to my experience.  I live close to the worst neighborhood in Columbus.  I'm still more afraid of police than I am any of the criminals around here.  If you keep to yourself, they will leave you alone.  I have zero problems except I always get hit up for money and cigarettes.  I'll take that over the fear of getting killed by police for something like pulling out my phone from my purse and having them mistake it for a gun and shooting me down.  

I don't see police as 'protection'.  Anyone they take off the streets is replaced by someone released from prison with a degree in crime.  

Our mass incarceration is causing more crime than preventing it.  The police are a part of this.  I just don't see that as keeping anyone safe.

The war on drugs was a way to target minorities and anti-war protesting hippies.  That's what it was designed for.  Lock up as many of them as you can.  Its documented from government officials that the war on drugs was to target black communities.  And what has been the result since the 70's?  They lock up as many black men as they can, leaving families with no father or means of support.  

We have unwittingly created a more violent and crime-filled society by mass incarceration and spurned by the war on drugs.  

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-7-23 08:59:41 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-7-22 23:21
Do you think the australian girl was showing disrespect to the police before they shot and killed  ...

No, I don't. Then again, the police officer explained that he made a mistake through a reflex. He felt the woman was becoming a threat.

Don't push a single case too far; the U.S. police can certainly draw some lessons from this mishap. Let's not confuse a shooting accident with murder. If the general public in the U.S.A. were more self-controlled the police would not even have to be armed.

It is law-breakers and individuals like you who oppose police on personal grounds that are the main problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-23 09:02:44 |Display all floors
Do you think the australian girl was showing disrespect to the police before they shot and killed  ...

No, she is not said to have shown disrespect.

But there is the statement of the officer who said that he acted with a reflex to a perceived threat. I call this an "accident".

You have to distinguish  between accidental manslaughter and murder.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-23 09:07:24 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-7-23 09:02

But there is the statement of the officer who sa ...

You have the police that YOU USANIANS   n e e d   and deserve., not some foreign law enforcement battalion.

Your police respond in a muscular manner commensurate with the general lack of public security.
If you ordinary citizens act as if you owned the pavement on which you stroll or swagger, get into arguments with shopkeepers or other pedestrrians and pull a gun from inside your clothes the police must be in a position to overwhelm you before you can do harm to others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-23 09:08:21 |Display all floors

... but the cop did not willingly kill her and he did not target her for her race or foreign nationality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-23 09:18:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-7-23 09:02

But there is the statement of the officer who sa ...

There are too many of these accidents.  The officer her a loud noise and shot the first person he saw.  There is no defending this, yet, no surprise....you're here to defend it.

Even the police chief resigned over it.

People die for having a cell phone in their hands that police mistook as a gun.  A car backfired in cleveland leading to a chase that ended in 138 shots fired into the car.  

Actually the fact that she approached the police car could of got her shot.  You can't run to police for help, they will think you are trying to ambush them - no matter your size or age.  

I've seen them shoot an elderly man with dementia for holding a steak knife.  He was just stumbling around, but ignored their 'commands'.  Took a couple steps towards them and they unloaded in him.

The police have used a taser on a 86 year-old bed ridden woman who was suicidal and had a knife in her bed.  They said they 'feared for their lives'.  Oh really?  Like they couldn't just take a couple of steps backwards from the bed?  She couldn't walk and grown men 'feared for their lives'?  And then they broke the shoulder of her son after he freaked out seeing what they did to his mother.  They assaulted him because he couldn't calm down.   Who in their right mind could keep calm after watching police taze your bed-ridden mother?

One accident....that can be excused.  But all across the nation?  They kill three people a day on average.  That's insane.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.