Author: ceciliazhang

Who's the tech copycat now? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-7-3 20:07:53 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-7-3 17:47
Both Alibaba and Tencent enjoy dominant market role in China's restricted market, each in their own  ...

Foreign investors dont possess the understanding of local culture and customs as the local investors do. So it's natural that local companies can do better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-3 20:42:25 |Display all floors
Chinaman2017 Post time: 2017-7-3 20:07
Foreign investors dont possess the understanding of local culture and customs as the local investo ...

It is not about culture or customs. Foreign enterprises such as Google or Facebook employ huge number of Chinese and other ethnic talents, and their inability to enter Chinese market has nothing to do with understanding China from those points of view.

They only refuse to adher to rules that China has for protecting the Party's image.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-3 20:56:46 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-7-3 20:42
It is not about culture or customs. Foreign enterprises such as Google or Facebook employ huge num ...

That's fair, as I dont think anyone can get a job by telling the boss he would not follow the company policies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-3 22:35:15 |Display all floors
Chinaman2017 Post time: 2017-7-3 20:56
That's fair, as I dont think anyone can get a job by telling the boss he would not follow the comp ...

I give you that. However, in this case the refused job applicant will find other work, while continuing to bash that particular boss with the global market in choir. And that will never really end, until either that boss or his successors change the company's employment policy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-4 12:41:02 |Display all floors
The problem with China's tech companies is that they don't think globally when they plan their business operations. They are too inward-looking and parochial in their mentality. Even this thread is evidence of this insular mindset.

Chinese startups must adopt a global outlook when they plan their business operations. Their business models must consider the generalities of global industries as well as the particularities of local markets. Otherwise, it's difficult for Chinese companies to change their DNA after they're long established in their home market in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-4 22:22:35 |Display all floors
Let me cite several examples to illustrate my point.
WeChat is better than Facebook but how come everybody uses Facebook outside China?
Huawei has better smartphones than Samsung but how come everybody buys Samsung outside China?
China is the world's largest market for e-mobility products such as mopeds, e-scooters, e-motorcycles, e-tricycles, etc. but how come there is no Chinese brand in global markets?

The success of Chinese tech companies such as DJI in global markets at the outset means that Chinese startups must change their mentality in order to succeed globally. Too many "me-too" companies doing the same thing and competing on price is a losing proposition.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-4 23:02:18 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-7-4 22:38
Let me tell you first of all, these big brands never prepare themselves in participating in global m ...

Based in Shenzhen, DJI is a good example of a tech company that went global early on after its founding in 2006. Shenzhen is home to tens of thousands of small tech companies but all they do is copy each other and compete on price. China needs a different kind of tech company that is planned from the ground up to compete globally based on branding, marketing, design, technology, support, sales, service and operations not just low-cost manufacturing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.