Views: 10092|Replies: 195

Will China become a leader in clean energy?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-6-27 14:11:02 |Display all floors
(Shanghaiist) From June 17th to June 23rd, the vast but sparsely populated province of Qinghai was powered only by wind, solar and hydro plants, according to China's official Xinhua news agency. During that period of time, "green energy" plants provided the province with 1.1 billion kilowatt hours of electricity -- the equivalent of burning 535,000 tons of coal. 72% of that came from hydro plants, while the remainder was from wind and solar, said the provincial grid company.

Located in northwestern China, Qinghai is China's fourth biggest province/region, but also only its 30th most populated (trailing behind only Tibet and Macau). The province is bigger than France, but 12 times less populated with just around 5.8 million people.

Qinghai is known for its abundance of natural resources, including high-altitude plains that are perfect for both wind and solar farms. Earlier this year, a massive solar farm was completed on the Tibetan Plateau that spans out 27 square kilometers, capable of powering 200,000 homes. Additionally, the province is home to many fast-flowing rivers that are the sources of China's biggest waterways -- the Yellow River, the Yangtze and the Mekong.

In May of this year, hydro, solar and wind power were already providing more than 82% of the Qinghai power grid's installed capacity of 23.4 million kilowatts. But, under China's 13th Five-Year Plan, Qinghai will be transformed into a clean energy dynamo for the rest of China with plans to expand the province's solar and wind capacity to 35 million kilowatts by 2020 to help supply central and eastern China with 110 billion kilowatt hours of energy from renewable sources each year.

These kinds of ambitious energy goals should help China achieve its Paris Climate Accord commitments in no time. Under the agreement, China has said that it will boost use of non-fossil fuels so that they account for 20% of its energy consumption by 2030. By the end of the decade, China plans to spend $360 billion on green energy projects, and it recently surpassed the US as the world leader in renewable energy development.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-27 14:11:14 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-27 14:11:25 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-27 22:46:43 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-6-27 14:15
Wow it is amazing.  I want to travel to Qinhai to experience the very fresh air there in near future ...

U always WANT to travel, why don't u DO it?

again I offer u my private heli
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-27 23:46:57 |Display all floors
Well done China
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 16:36:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tailorsas at 2017-6-28 16:37

I remember there were more than 30 giant wind turbines installed on the mountain area of my old house 5 years ago.Now there are two hydraulic electrogenerating stations in my hometown, and the government is replacing the street lights with solar ones in the city where I currently work.Clean energy is a serious project,and I'm glad that China is putting a lot effort on it.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 17:00:27 |Display all floors
OP only shows that Qinghai has high availability of clean energy and low need for it. It does not automatically translate to nationwide success. China's population, factories, and problems are elsewhere.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.