Views: 2087|Replies: 19

Live in China, learn about China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-6-24 17:54:28 |Display all floors

If you start looking for hot water instead of ice water, thinking that western cuisine is a bit too sweet and salty for you, reaching for tea more often than coffee, and when you spontaneously assimilate yourself into Chinese society rather than deliberately imitating the way of living like a Chinese, it can be proved that as a foreigner, you must have lived in China long enough.

Some say the biggest take away from living in a place for a long time is the memory that you have. Actually, deeply assimilate into the way of the local life is the most exciting thing. Assimilation means changes as well as an approbation of the philosophy hidden behind the way of a different life.

Many foreign people get to understand that “no sweet without sweat” is Chinese’s attitude towards life through the sweet after taste in Chinese green tea. They come to know the close bonds between neighbors in a community through the sentence “have you eaten yet?” that Chinese people use to greet each other. And they understand that Chinese parents have great ambitions and expectations for their children in education by the words frequently adopted by Chinese parents “take a look at other people’s children”. All of which has nothing to do with right or wrong, but embodies the unique charm of Chinese culture.

“The most important thing is that you’re no longer pursuing the identity of ‘a senior foreigner that knows China inside out’, but to explore and appreciate your life here”, once a foreign people commented. Indeed, imitating behavior and language are the things you may do when trying to fit in at first. To deepen the assimilation, you need to really appreciate and understand Chinese culture. It’s not only a philosophy of life for everyone in this world, but also the correct way to treat different civilizations today with the trend of globalization. (People's Daily Online)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-25 02:50:30 |Display all floors
No matter how long  I have lived in China, and how well [?] I can speak and read Chinese, I am always a lao wai, and people still point at me. Not in the big cities, but in a smaller ones.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-25 10:26:29 |Display all floors
"The most important thinmg is that you're no longer pusruing the identity of a 'senior foreigner that knows China inside out', but to explore and appreciate your life here", once a foreign people commented."

Oh my Mao! A whole people gave an identical comment? How many individuals was this people composed of? Or was it a Chinese person's comment? Chinese too are "foreigners", you know, as soon as they go abroad, which many do, usually without trying to integrate, learn the local language or manners...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 16:27:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tailorsas at 2017-6-28 16:28
1105852048 Post time: 2017-6-25 02:50
No matter how long  I have lived in China, and how well [?] I can speak and read Chinese, I am alway ...

That's very true.But perhaps you should move to a bigger city as the people in small ones are not familiar with foreigners,while people in big ones,which are first or tier cities where the proportion of young people is higher,are already used to seeing foreigners on the street or in the neighborhood.That's my suggestion,and I think most people would agree with me.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 17:51:17 |Display all floors
I will never drink hot water
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-28 19:46:52 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-6-28 17:51
I will never drink hot water

Tea  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-28 20:01:13 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-6-28 19:46
Tea

even tea has a rotten taste unless I put sugar in, but I am trying to cut out sugar.
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.