Author: SEARU

How to win? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-19 19:32:44 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-6-19 18:07
"zour"=your?

Anyway, thanks for your appreciation that is great encouragement for my writing!

You were right. The "Z" key and the "Y" key change their letters when you change the language.

What I meant was thsat etymology is a fascinating field. Etymology explains the origins of words.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-19 20:48:19 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-6-19 19:32
You were right. The "Z" key and the "Y" key change their letters when you change the language.

W ...

Oh, your "thsat"="that"?

About etymology, could you tell me why "win" means "win" in English?
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-19 21:04:23 |Display all floors
败(lose) is opposite to 赢.   How to understand the former character?

The last part of 败 is special form of 文 which looks like "a scholar.
败 shows that a man is fleeing away leaving "treasure(贝)" behind with the head dropped nearly to the ground!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-19 21:41:30 |Display all floors
Can we analyze 赢 in this way?
(亡 口)is a "free man" who can fully control his body(月) and mind(凡) for property(贝)!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-20 12:45:12 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-6-19 20:48
Oh, your "thsat"="that"?

So many typos made on my laptop! Sigh!  

I will try to look up things to give you a nice answer. Right off the cuff I can tell you that the words "gain" and "win" are etymologically related.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-21 15:54:44 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-6-19 20:48
Oh, your "thsat"="that"?

Here is the promised etymology of "win".

The earliest trace of this word in written documents was "winnan". It was a word all Germanic languages had in common, hence "win" in English is "gewinnen" in German, and as I said before, "to gain" is just another variant of it that passed into English from French. The French word (gagner, hence English "to gain") also originated with the common Germanic word, winnan.

The fascinating part, however, is the semantic shift it has endured. Originally, the meaning was "to achieve something through efforts", "to acquire something" or to "harvest". In popular language it enabled people to speak about their successes in raising food.

Before individual European languages such as German, English, French, Italian, Russian, Polish were spoken, people had a language linguists call "Indo-European" in common. While this is a hypothetical language it is the mother of the languages spoken from India all the way to Europe. Thus in old Indian languages similar words existed, with similar meanings. One word has been identified: "Vanas", meaning "leaves", the typical residue after a harvest of certain fruits. So "win" and "gain" really belonged originally to the lexicon of peasants.

Why is this fascinating? It is because in modern European languages, "win" has come to denote many other things, such as "win a fight, game, race or contest" (Oxford English Dictionary).

Personally I had thought "win" was first used when people spoke about "winning a war/conflict/battle".
That was the wrong inference. "Win" is a totally peaceful word. The "win a battle" is expressed differently: "Vanquish your enemies".

There are small semantic differences between "win" and "gain". You can "win an argument with someone", not "gain" it; you can "gain weight" (but not "win" it, meaning you become fat...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-21 17:31:08 |Display all floors
I have gained a lot from your work on winning! Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.