Views: 6826|Replies: 39

Is tearing up books a good way to relieve stress? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-6-8 10:29:37 |Display all floors
Right before Chinese national college entrance examination on June 7, many high school seniors tear up their textbooks and test paper into pieces and throw them off like snowfall to release their pressure. I've experienced gaokao and could understand the stress they are under. Instead of putting them into garbage, I keep my textbooks till now since they remind me of the precious period in my life. But now tearing up books has even become a kind of annual tradition. Is it simply a way to relieve stress or does it reflect students' dissatisfaction with the education system?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-8 10:37:10 |Display all floors

(CGTN)Seeing the mess created by her fellow classmates after throwing torn up textbooks into the sky, a Chinese high school senior came up with the idea of writing a thank-you and apology letter to the campus cleaner.

Given the competitive nature and emotional stress brought about by the annual university entrance exams - Gaokao - which began today, tearing textbooks and exam preparation materials and throwing the pieces into the air has become a tradition for overwrought high school graduates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-8 10:40:23 |Display all floors

On June 3, two days before graduating from Baita Middle School in southwest China’s Sichuan Province, student He Xue was studying at her desk when she saw a female campus cleaner clearing away the paper thrown by her classmates.

Moved by the cleaner’s hard work, she decided to put pen to paper and writer a letter.

“In a few days we will leave the campus behind and many of us choose to tear up our textbooks to relieve stress. This tradition has brought all our campus cleaners so much trouble and I beg your forgiveness and understanding. Thank you and we are sincerely sorry!”

“I was hesitant to write this letter, but I was afraid I would regret it if I failed to convey my gratitude before I left,” she confessed in the letter. “It’s a shame I don’t know your name but I will remember your work and the heartwarming moment you’ve brought me.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-8 10:41:21 |Display all floors

He delivered the letter in person to Mo Huaixue, the campus cleaner, who has been employed at the school for two years.

At first startled, Mo later expressed her gratitude in an interview with the Chengdu Business Daily.

“Students tear textbooks every year but this is the first time I have received a thank you letter,” she said.

Mo showed the letter to one of the teachers, Liu Qiaoling, who posted it on social media app Wechat.

He Xue with her friend in their classroom. /Chengdu Business Daily Photo

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-8 11:40:44 |Display all floors

I have read about this scandalous conduct by Chinese pupils and am disgusted by it. It proves beyond reasonable doubt that these young children don't care for education, contrary to what their guardians and parents claim.

Besides being a shabby and disrespectful act, it also is a huge waste of resources. While the poor often complain about the costs for uniforms and textbooks the pupils discard them as if they were rubbish when they leave school for good. In other words: they have not attained any level of  education.

I have still some of my schoolbooks. My Geography atlas, though completely out of date (what with the many names of countries that have changed since I left school) is a priye I do not want to treat like the Chinese children treat their textbooks.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-8 20:59:42 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-6-8 10:37
(CGTN)Seeing the mess created by her fellow classmates after throwing torn up textbooks into the sky ...

Tearing up books is a good way to litter outside the school

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-8 22:35:48 |Display all floors
It is unfortunate bordering on tragic that youngsters all over the world have to sit a national examination that virtually defines what they will be doing after for all their forseeable future.

And they have to sit that examination during a time of massive internal teenager change to them as they start making the natural transition to adulthood. Most of those who shine outstandingly do so because they have been earlier in stabilizing those internal changes, get to focus and memorize efficiently, understand the questions and are efficient in answering them, and not because they are super-smarter than the next average student. Others who don't so well could be because they could not take the stress which ends up weakening their performance during the sittings.

Because of all this, many futures could be blighted when the average could actually have shone, even if later but for that examination.

Why not do a scientific experiment and take one cohort in each province to sit the examination split into three - one earlier, one during and one after - in tandem with what they have learned to each stage. Then they can be tested less on their memory skills which means less on rote learning.  And more on how much they understand the subject matter. Which in turn reflects how well they have been taught....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.