Author: linda_sun

Can China take the lead on climate change?   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-7 09:24:00 |Display all floors
phantomguy Post time: 2017-6-6 19:04
are we getting into  house work now or am i imagining things, who cares if your house is in order  ...

His house is in order, or so he3 says, and mine is being taken care of by myself as we speak. I am washing my trousers today. How about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-7 09:26:06 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2017-6-5 14:51
You ignore reality China is the biggest polluter looked at the air quality in most Chinese cities  ...

Your argument might be based on factual data but shouldn't Australians accept responsibility for individually contributing 16.3 tonnes of CO2 per capita annually compared with the Chinese guy who contributes a mere 7.6 tonnes per capita annually (2013) or do you think that Australians are divinely entitled to expect the Chinese guy to cut back his modest consumption to accommodate your excesses?
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-6-7 09:27:48 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-6-7 09:26
Your argument might be based on factual data but shouldn't Australians accept responsibility for i ...

We did years ago your a little slow on that one

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-6-7 09:29:51 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-6-7 09:26
Your argument might be based on factual data but shouldn't Australians accept responsibility for i ...

Our current issue is China interfering with Australian politics and Student spies that report to the Chinese embassy in Canberra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-6-7 09:43:27 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-6-6 20:04
I don't disagree with that - just pointing out that he who produces the most pollution is not nece ...

You discovered the virtue of living in unheated stone dwellings at a curious old age, Fatdragon. Do you remember when the Brits tried to market woollen clothes in Qing China they were thwarted by the Chinese emperor? He infamously said China has everything and does not need to import anything. Well, woollen jumpers, socks and pullovers have never been made in China, so the poor Chinese have had to put on five layers of clothes in the subtropical south of the country to survive through those short and brutally cold seasons. Did this save a lot of energy, cuymulatively, since the old churl Qianlong kicked the bucket?

You need to discount the losses of human lives through attrition and diseases due to the cold and the unhealthy living conditions in those stone abodes they have traditionally inhabited. The cold in a modern Chinese apartment with cement or ceramic surfaces is unhealthy, to put it mildly. In summer, ceramic floors are comfortable and provide some cooling effect but in winter they cause your fgeet to freeze and your rheumatism to thrive.

I much prefer a European apartment with central heating. The floors are warm to the touch of naked feet in winter and cool in summer, the walls sturdy, the windows shut tightly and there is no unhealthy draft and the energy consumption is very low compared with a Chinese abode.

I have bought a parquet floor and I feel the difference to the ceramic tiles so common in other Chinese homes. I have ceiling fans and I run the aircons sparingly. But the biggest loss of energy is due to the lousy insulation and the poor construction materials in general. Cheap materials are preferred by the Chinese. They do not invest in burglary-proof windows (which help keep airconditioning operating costs down too) and the walls are too thin to act as barriers to temperature changes. If a Chinese wants it cool indoors, he simply runs the aircon at full blast. After all, the buildings are not designed to last. In many cases you will be lucky they last a human lifetime. On average, a house gets torn down after 30 years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-7 09:48:54 |Display all floors
Chinaman2017 Post time: 2017-6-6 22:13
Chnia is the least polluted as per capita pollution, while the U.S. is the most polluted country p ...

Hmmm, my old friend: have you got some published statistics to support your unbelievable claim?

If you want to brag I can brag louder.
Do you know my friend Andy? He is a Switzer. I met him through my brother a few years ago and was his guest of honour. I related my experiences with Andy in this Forum. They were eye-opening and to some extent, amusing. I don't want to be Andy's guest of honour again, but I can now say I know about one country (and many others) which has clean air, is highly industrialised and has a very efficient economy.

I don't think either the U.S.A. or China comes anywhere close to Switzerland (or to Germany, Holland, Sweden for that matter).

Please, learn from your betters and stop trying to lecture the world. The U.S.A. and China may be top dogs and always try to outperform each other - but they should try to become as good as the best in the world, which happen to be much smaller.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-6-7 09:58:29 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-6-7 09:06
A valid point. If the likes of Apple are using China as a manufacturer to reduce manufacturing cos ...

Your argument that the U.S.A. is responsible for Apple's CO2 output in CHINA has been made many times by anti9-Western militants and by Communist sympathisers. But just to show you abstyruse this logic is, let us compare the transaction between Apple and some Chinese subcontractor to the deal between a john and a hooker. They agree in a bar on the venue and the price of the transaction and leave the bar. The venue is the hooker's bedroom. As soon as the business is done with, the john pays, but now the hooker has second thoughts: her reputation may suffer if the john is seen leaving the house furtively. She ups the price for "cleaning up the air". Of course, the john is now less in the mood to give the hooker an extra compensation. Her reputation is her business, not his. So, according to your logic, he should perhaps marry the hooker to save her name from being sullied?

The C.P.C. had every opportunity to stave off pollution or to mitigate it within reasonable limits. Did it care? If the C.P.C. had not found Western partners for its industrialisation projects it would have continued doing things the polluting Chinese way. Before the opening-up of China policy came into force, China was already seriously polluted through the centuries-old custom of burning coal.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.