Views: 1222|Replies: 8

Should I give more money to my son with children than to my other childless son? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-18 09:46:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by senoritazhao at 2017-5-18 09:48

Question:I have £800,000 to give to my two sons. One has no children of his own (and does not plan to have any) and the other has three children under 10. How should I split the cash? I feel I should give more to my son who has children, as he will have higher costs over his life, but is that unfair to my other son? Both have a similar income."

kids.PNG

It's not child's play: should this mother give more money to her son who has children?

We are required to make countless financial decisions throughout our life.

Sometimes our course of action is clearly bound by the law. But in many cases, the financial decisions we make are a matter of judgment - and morality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-18 19:45:07 |Display all floors
It's a personal choice.

As a grandparent, I would probably spoil the children anyway through their childhood, not to mention probably contributing to babysitting them, so I would not feel terribly obliged to consider the grandchildren a factor when dividing my property between just the two sons.

If either of the sons would spend more to my own old age costs, perhaps that would show in the distribution, and I might allocate some part directly to the grandchildren once they are adults.

But if I could handle my own retirement, then for example 250k to each son, and 300k split equally between the grandchildren.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-5-18 20:45:40 |Display all floors
Her business

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-19 06:25:51 |Display all floors
Make lucky draw for them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-19 08:01:33 |Display all floors
If she don't know how to distribute the money, my bank detail is available.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-5-19 08:59:08 |Display all floors
I think it would be best to leave an even amount to each son.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-19 09:06:30 |Display all floors
From a Chinese's perspective. Maybe a half-split could not show fairness.

The split should be based on the two son's contribution and filial obedience to their mother if they are at the same economic level.
For example, Son A has always been taken good care of the mother and spend a lot of time, money, on her mother to make her happy, then Son A deserves more.  If the mother has always been financially supporting Son A more than Son B like helping him with morgages or a first deposit, then Son B deserves more.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.