Author: _Transhumanist_

What is "Consciousness"?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-14 11:11:43 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-5-14 10:59
Lord of the ring was shot in South Island right?

No, it was shot on the North-East basin in Greater Wellington district, on the West side; just look on the map to the East of the major mountain ridge, the edges are colored to project outwards so you can see the whole divide.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-14 11:17:22 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-5-14 11:13
I have no idea where is the place you are talking about since I'm always staying at home in China.

Come move to New Zealand.  We need smart Chinese people to help our economy and culture.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-5-14 17:42:58 |Display all floors
I thought about this a bit since seeing the movie Total Recall as a kid. I sometimes wonder if I was ever born because I dont remember it happening. And for all I know I may have been created somehow to start off in my current form only recently and all of my memories may have been implanted. I may have never been a baby. Or maybe I was someone else.

Continuity is important. Meaning is also important. Continuity is needed for there to be meaning. This is from Roger Eberts review of the 2005 film Stay -

"The surface story of the film then becomes more interesting than before, because we know more about it. Its shape and content mean something. It is the record of how we deal with the fundamental events of life by casting them into terms we can understand: Terms like, what we did, and what they did, and what we did then, all arranged so they seem to add up and lead somewhere. Maybe they don't. But the mind is a machine for making them seem to. Otherwise, all would be event without form, and therefore without meaning. How desperately we need for there to be form, and meaning." - Roger Ebert

I think replacing the organic matter with synthetic material is an interesting idea but I still do not think the synthetic material would really be you once it had replaced all of your brain. I think that regenerative technology to keep the brain alive forever is the way to go. It cant be that hard. And earthly pleasures are good so I would prefer my vehicle to be organic. We should be able to design superior organic replacement bodies and put our brains in them. Changing bodoes should be as simple as changing into another set of clothes in the future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-15 08:14:45 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-5-14 17:42
I thought about this a bit since seeing the movie Total Recall as a kid. I sometimes wonder if I was ...

We are perfect the way we are, no need to change.  

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-5-15 08:32:07 |Display all floors
My_Humpssdccdss Post time: 2017-5-15 08:14
We are perfect the way we are, no need to change.

I could be a lot more perfect than I am right now. I am not proud. I want to be immortal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-15 15:08:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Wrister at 2017-5-15 15:09
HailChina! Post time: 2017-5-15 08:32
I could be a lot more perfect than I am right now. I am not proud. I want to be immortal.

Inject your body with stem cells, get telomere lengthening chemicals like the astrogalus extract, use resveratrol:  Lef.o*g

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-17 18:25:48 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2017-5-13 16:20
Die

An organism does not die when he/it sleeps. The fantastically complex organism continues with i ...

Sometimes I wonder if there is an afterlife.  What if we are living in a computer or something?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.