Views: 5447|Replies: 29

Seeking air-quality health advice. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-13 00:09:29 |Display all floors
The last time I was in central China, the air quality was so bad that I sometimes lost my breath by just slowly climbing a flight of stairs with light luggage (which I can do quite easily in Canada while practically running up the stairs with the same luggage). The pollution levels appeared to have affected my wife's menstrual cycle during that time too.

Unfortunately since my wife has been banned from Canada for a year, I will need to relocate to central China for that time.

I was wondering what the locals do. For example, do they eat certain foods, do certain exercises, consume certain medications, wear breathing apparatuses, or do something else? As far as I can tell, my wife and her family don't really do anything but just tolerate it or stay indoors during smog alerts. I did see others wearing light mouthieces and have seen onlime images of people in Beijing wearing full facial gas masks.

For preventative health reasons, I'm leaning towards a full facial gas mask but am unsure how that is perceived culturally by the locals. Alternatively, I thinking of buying a quality mouthpiece that might look more like what I've seen some locals wear si as to not stand out more than necessary.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-13 10:50:20 |Display all floors

The Chinese have no solution to air pollution. They bravely put up with it and complain - though in vain. They are the most avid polluters themselves. You think the air in Hunan is bad? Ha! You should go to Guangzhou or Beijing! The only way of maintaining an illusionary shiled against polluted air is for them to breath through face masks. As if the air got filtered while passing through that tiny piece of fabric...

If the air is so foul, don't even think much about the watercourses. Or the rubbish bins here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-13 13:25:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Caged at 2017-5-13 13:28

Would something like this be excessive for the polluted days in Xiangyang (Xiangfan), Hubei?
https://www.scottsafety.com/en/us/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?productdetail=First+Responder+Respirator+(FRR)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-13 13:30:41 |Display all floors
As a Canadian, I'm not one to criticise the Chinese on pollution. Canada pollutes more than most states and maybe even China on a per capita basis.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-13 22:04:42 |Display all floors
Caged Post time: 2017-5-13 13:30
As a Canadian, I'm not one to criticise the Chinese on pollution. Canada pollutes more than most sta ...

You want to cite your sources for such a ludicrous comment? Or is this just your personal opinion? Oh and why was your wife banned from Canada for a year? You two lie on her Permanent Residence application?
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-13 22:41:57 |Display all floors
Because if a false accusation against her of having worked without a visa. The accusation was false and the judgment erroneous, but that's a separate matter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-13 22:49:08 |Display all floors
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ... missions_per_capita

According to the World bank, in 2000, CO2 emitions per capita were 17.4 metric tons for Canada and 2.7 for China. If you can find a more recent figure than the year 2000, please do.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.