Views: 910|Replies: 6

Did people treat you differently after you lost a lot of weight? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-6 17:05:27 |Display all floors

My brother is a 25-year-old male graduate student. He recently lost 25 pounds. His friends and family now regard him very positively; even strangers on campus smile at him more than before.

Do people treat thin people differently than fat people?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-6 18:26:32 |Display all floors
Good for him, I could do with losing 15 pounds but just off the front shelf

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-5-7 02:27:32 |Display all floors
What's this in real money ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-7 11:40:19 |Display all floors
There is another thread discussing whether rich and poor people can be friends, and it was argued that the two could not share many hobbies and because of that the friendships wouldn't have so much common grounds, as if they were from same economic class.

I think the same applies here. In some specitic situations, people will naturally treat thin people differently than sturdier people, without any negative feelings behind it (just practicality). That goes both ways.

But of course there is lot of prejudice too.

However more to the point, the scenario presented by OP perhaps more generally demonstrates how one's resolution and hard work to change his life (supposedly for the better) is valued by others.

Whether that is losing weight, getting a job, or just cleaning your room.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-7 16:57:40 |Display all floors
I've given up trying to lose weight...
proud to be a fat barstuart
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-8 10:32:20 |Display all floors
I don't know how other people think,but I am the one who judges a person by his appearance.Every time I'm on the bus,I would scan around,which is a little weird,and think about what kind of people are on the bus.

However, weight and dimension don't matter.Most of corpulent people I know are really kind and eager to make friends.Sometimes they feel self-abased and fearful to take the first step cuz he doesn't want to be laughed at.We actually need to help them to regain their confidence and convince themselves to be comfortable with their body.

Appearance can be changed,we should be kind to one another,unless he does look like an asshole at the first sight.
I forgot how to forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-10 11:20:20 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-5-7 11:40
There is another thread discussing whether rich and poor people can be friends, and it was argued th ...

I agree with you.

Though we don't try to judge people, from their appearance, social class, hobbies, we do like "Better" people.

A fit body and cleaning room might mean hardworking and discipline. With all the aspiration of being better, human kind could have the achievement today.

I found my brother's story full of positive energy. It is positive energy to strive for better being that make one popular.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.