Views: 1231|Replies: 0

Should we allow children to go in the kitchen and eat whatever? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-6 16:27:12 |Display all floors
Should we allow children to go in the kitchen and eat whatever they want without asking?

I think it depends on the age of the child/children, whether most of the food choices are healthy, and your family situation. I stock almost only healthy things, so I’m not worried about a kid eating his way through a bag of Oreos, or something. However, I have four kids. If they were all allowed to go in and eat anything they wanted at all hours our food bill would take a hit, and I would be dealing with kids fussing over someone eating more than their share. I taught them to ask first when they were young, and tried to say yes most of the time - unless the request was unreasonable, was for ingredients I needed to cook with, or too close to meal time, etc.

That training stuck, and they all continued checking with me first before getting food between meals into their teens. My daughter rarely ate between meals anyway, and now my eldest son is 17, and has been using common sense for some time now in deciding what to eat within reason. He asks me first if there is only a little of something left, or if he’s not sure if I’m saving that food or ingredient for something.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.