Views: 799|Replies: 14

Why does '等' mean 'wait'? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-3 11:27:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-5-3 11:39

Recently I have noticed that there are many interesting stories behind our Chinese character ‘等'!  Why does it mean 'waiting'?

It's top part is 竹 which looks like two ‘bamboo’ plants;
The middle part is 土 that is 'earth' or ‘ground’;
It's bottom 寸 is ‘inch’.

So the whole character 等 tells you that bamboo plant is just under ground who will soon come out since it is already one inch tall and the special creature may grow dozens centimeter overnight!---------Do you have patience to wait?

The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-20 21:05:26 |Display all floors
Is it one of the stories you heard?
Not so convincing.
寸is a measurement unit of China used in ancient times or informally and inch is 吋, not the same thing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
GreenNanning Post time: 2017-5-20 21:05
Is it one of the stories you heard?
Not so convincing.
寸is a measurement unit of China used in anci ...

Thanks for your constructive comment!

I have posted many writings on some interesting Chinese characters and all of them could reflect my own fresh point of view based on my understanding. I think this is a good kind of topic to introduce Chinese culture to foreign friends.

Yes, the Chinese length-unit 寸 is similar to 'inch'.  But it is hard to tell out how long it was in ancient times and it is now in simple words!----------That may need a long article!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 6 DayEarlier |Display all floors
It gives me the impression that first you find the word (character) then you begin to dismantle it and try to find something useful which can serve your purpose then you make a story based on what you think is true, but without giving any convincing details, like who, what, when, how...

Talking about the measurement units, it is not so hard if you wish to look deep into it. It could be made clear within two or three minutes to a foreigner, or 10 minutes, if necessary, that doesn't seem a problem to you and me, right?

Use magic tools Report

GreenNanning Post time: 2017-5-24 09:59
It gives me the impression that first you find the word (character) then you begin to dismantle it a ...

haha! Yes, we can!

Use magic tools Report

This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-5-24 11:16
GreenNanning Post time: 2017-5-24 09:59
It gives me the impression that first you find the word (character) then you begin to dismantle it a ...

We Chinese often say something in inaccurate words. That is similar to Chinese paintings compared with western photos from camera!

Our personal blog should have unique character from others' ones!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Yes, it is our custom to say things ambiguous, so when you try to provide an explanation, you  can say whatever you like, as in the case of a sunglass-wearing fortune-teller at the street corner.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.