Author: ceciliazhang

Is there a "Mandarin fever" in your country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-4-17 12:12:35 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-4-17 11:14
Yes, it is hard to find a qualified Mandarin teacher.

Agree with you! Finding a reasonably good Chinese language teacher is really not easy. Excellent candidates are retained as teachers in schools but most of them will be trained to be administrators. Further, natural selection is the course of evolution.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-17 12:13:46 |Display all floors

Please note that seneca does ill speaking about China and spread rumours to harm China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-17 12:16:26 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-4-15 10:47
Mandarin instruction by Chinese teachers leaves a lot to be desired. Many of them cannot put the ...

Goodness! You worked as doorman for Shangri-La and R Hilton to pay for your twice annual Europe tour for ground research!
Please do not hide yourself when the shoots were taken!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-4-17 12:46:34 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2017-4-16 22:55
Chinese language has a long history with no less than five thousand years in record. To be proficien ...

Five thousand years ago nobody spoke Chinese, and no records were made in Chinese either. The Chinese script is much younger.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-17 12:48:15 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-4-17 10:59
It is much more difficult for foreigners to learn to write than to listen and speak. They just can ...

A little misleading there.

There is quite some method to writing Chinese characters. What we do not have is the TIME to learn to write thousands of Chiense characters. Even Chinese seldom achieve total literacy in their script; how then can we who start learning it so many years later in our lives?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-17 12:52:33 |Display all floors

I taught myself for a while and that was pretty useful. Then I attended evening lessons given by a German. These lessons were well structured and insightful; the teacher answered any question and had profound knowledge about the language. Later I took some Mandarin lessons as an employee of a college. They had a couple of hundred foreign students who paid dearly for their tuition; we staffers only had to buy the textbooks and could sit in their classes. I must say it was uninspiring and repetitive.

But there was a Canadian teacher who had taught herself 3'000 Chinese characters. She could read and understand many official published texts, yet she could not enunciate a single sentence in standard Mandarin. I was leagues ahead of her in spoken Chinese but unable to read, while she could read but not speak or understand spoken Mandarin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-17 12:54:34 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2017-4-16 16:06
Have you been bad again

He is banned till 19 April. You know why, of course. The provocator of course won't ever be leashed or have his snout tied shut.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.