Author: UYA

Exposed: Heilongjiang International University (HIU)   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2017-11-27 15:54:22 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-27 15:44
Indeed. What he is doing is not legal in anz other countrz, and I doubt it is in China ...

I take you don't like this because I was a far better teacher than you ever was.
You can't take the fact, that the CD recognizes my status above yours.
And you can't handle the fact, that I achieved this by being respectful.
When will you learn....
It is NOT what you know, but how you deal with others.
Your anti-social character has prevented you to work with other people.
So you take a job as a paid troll.
(right up your alley)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 15:59:40 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-27 15:54
UYA should have lined up the job from his base in the U.S.A. He should have wheedled an invitati ...

Blame me again for making a racist system you acknowledged.
"China's ethnocentric culture is racist. Nothing new to write home about."

Now your back tracking because you don't like being challenged by me.
Just sour grapes about being better than you.
A poor loser, is nothing to be proud of for you.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-27 16:00:34 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-27 13:07
Typical Chinese reaction; trying to cover up!  The truth must be exposed for all to see how racist  ...

You give us a story pulled from the grapevine:

An overseas Chinese, responding to a teaching job advertisement, called at a famous institution in Shangdong Province and asked to see the FAO(foreign affairs officer) who had spoken to him on the phone and asked him to call personally since he met all their requirements (except for one).  When the FAO saw him, he was surprised he was Chinese, not foreign looking, contrary to what he thought over the phone; the FAO immediately said, "Sorry, we want a white",  end of conversation!!

.... but since the story is second-hand, what is true in it?

Granted such biases do work sometimes, but I cannot believe they ruin the job chances of every native English-speaking Overseas Chinese. I have personally seen too many Overseas Chinese working as English teachers.

There is on the other hand a reason why employers feel constrained to be judicious or even skeptical when an ethnic Chinese foreigner presents himself in a job interview. Some students from the P.R.C. are known to have tried to be hired as English teachers on foreign working conditions. And there are Overseas Chinese whose English is not at all desirable or trustworthy. Many Singaporeans for example don't speak standard English.

But I doubt the preference is for "Whites' because of a racial bias. It's simply a logical leap: English is a White Man's language, hence good English is spoken by real Englishmen or Americans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 16:01:45 |Display all floors
Yin_99 Post time: 2017-11-27 13:36
I think the university could sue you for damaging its reputation instead.  You are trying to take pe ...

Indeed. What UYA is doing here is dragging a public institution through muck. It's slander. His claims can be bogus or real but they should be offered in a law courthouse, not on the public opinion market.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 16:02:45 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-27 13:49
Wrong there; the fact that the OP provided names and evidence, suggests that it is factual, and th ...

No. It is a dilettante's way of seeking revenge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 16:05:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-27 15:54
UYA should have lined up the job from his base in the U.S.A. He should have wheedled an invitati ...

Like I would know the process.
So because I didn't, you blame me for being a victim.

More low class posts out of your feeble minded head.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-27 16:06:31 |Display all floors
Yin_99 Post time: 2017-11-27 13:56
If he could provide firm evidence aganist the named university in discrimination, cd should not be t ...

But he cannot.

All he has for evidence is "the recruiter told me..."

The "recruiter" = a self-employed agent.

Here I have to explain that agents are the bane of the teaching world. They work mostly for the benefit of employers who do not have the legal status to hire foreign staff. Universities that have the permit to hire foreign teachers don't need to go through "recruiters". They can advertise on their own, and that's what they do.

UYA was pimped to that university by an agent even though UYA was in China at that time not as a legally entitled job seeker but as a TOURIST.

That says more about the case than UYA's story does.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.