Views: 67171|Replies: 933

Exposed: Heilongjiang International University (HIU)   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2017-4-13 02:32:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by UYA at 2017-4-13 02:40

This thread is naming "names" and the institution that perpetuates racism,fraud, harassment I witnessed and first hand knowledge of events that transpired while working at Heilongjiang International University (HIU).

Although my time spent teaching here was rewarding, I'm appalled with the way certain individuals and systems in place at this University.

Racism: As a Chinese American, I was shocked to experience such blatant racism in the Chinese educational system.

How I came to this University was when I was contacted by a recruiter in Beijing. He asked me if Iwas an American (yes), native English speaker (yes) and that he had a job forme in Harbin. When I reached Harbin, he looked at me and said, "you look Chinese", I responded "yeah so?". He then told me that, "oh no I can not use you". Being shocked and stuck in Harbin, I started emailing other institutions in the area. It didn't take long before HIU contacted me with the SAME questions. At the interview a Mr. Lv looked at me and said,"you look Asian". Knowing what transpired before, I responded with,"NO I'm Hawaiian, born in Hawaii, I'm Hawaiian". He then agreed to hire me. After finding out I was Chinese, I experienced bias against me. How do I know this? During the semester an "observer" goes to classes and evaluates the teachers. The class she observed was handed down to me (in mid-term) from 2 teachers who hated this particular class as being disruptive and "unteachable". So my method to spark interest in English was KTV. I had a portable KTV mic that hooked up to the class AV system. The class loved it! The class was filled with voices in song. Vocabulary, reading, and speaking all came into play. I thought my job was done well. However the observer rated me poorly. I was devastated and bewildered. Then I spoke to a teacher from Arkansas (white). He had a class observed and thought he did not do well because half his class did not show up (I had a 90% attendance) and of those who did, half of them would pay no attention and goof off. Low and behold, after the class the observer told him "what a good teacher he is and hope he would stay for the long term". Something is wrong here! To boast my case, I had all my classes fill out "feed back" questionnaires on my teaching,leaving out names so they could be honest. Students would rank me (from 1-10) on English skills, teaching, enjoyment of class and even leave comments and suggestions. My rating came back with over 98% approval!!!!!! and I had HUNDREDS of forms from the students. When brought this to the attention to the leader of the English dept. a Miss Gao. She dismissed it as being "forged" and students pressured into giving me a good rating (even though no names were on the forms). I knew then, these people are RACIST!

Mr. Li: He was the leader of the Student Union in the school and in charge of ALL student activities. When I arrived at HIU, I noticed a lack of "social"activities such as dances, holiday events such as Thanksgiving, Halloween etc. Wanting to expose the students to western social activities and give the chance for students and teachers to meet in a social environment, I got approval from my dept. to hold a dance. The first one was a resounding success! Hundreds of students and teachers showed up and had a great time. I wanted to continue this on an ongoing bases which I got approval for. BUT Mr. Li had the keys to the ballroom and audio equipment and failed to show up 8 out of 10 times!!!!! Students had performances rehearsed and dressed then showed up to be disappointed by the deliberate act of Mr. Li. My complaints got no where with him and had to go to the VP of the school to make him show up. Mr. Li was also the individualwho had his connections with the local police to harass my business. A very"evil man"!

Fraud: Many foreign teachers complain about fraud and plagiarism in the class. A teacher from Wisconsin"Nathan" documented this and presented his findings to the leader of the dept. He had a stack of documents (2 feet high) dropped on the leaders desk. NOTHING was done. Another teacher from the UK led the student magazine and was approached by a number of students complaining about a Chinese teacher who demanded 2,000 rmb from students or they would have to write a 10 page essay. He brought this to the attention of his leader who denied such activity.

This is just a "nut shell" on what went on at Heilongjiang International University (HIU).

Of all the things that I did not like about China, THIS institution IS the "top of my list".

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-4-13 08:51:18 |Display all floors
China's ethnocentric culture is racist. Nothing new to write home about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-13 10:06:22 |Display all floors
Damn man looks like you drew the short stick eh. Hopefully things get better here, there and everywhere. Race, ethnicity shouldn't be such a big deal.
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-13 11:12:08 |Display all floors

respect
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 10:13:51 |Display all floors

Then again, from the point of view of a person who considers himself a "victim", any unexpected feature looks like proof that supports his victim belief.

Personally, I find a few claims in UYA's thread questionable. For example: how come he was already in CHINA and getting a job offer there? When I was new to China, I got a promise the employer would send me a contract to my home country. Then I was expected to apply for a work visa there. Only after I had been hired in China was I able to get a job in country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 10:23:35 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-4-13 11:12
respect

This is UYA's own introduction (from his Profile):

UYA

Add as friend
Leave me a message
Say hello
Send message
Statistics
748 number of visits
Credits: 21486
Friends: 64
Threads: 216
Blogs: --
Albums: 1
Share: --
Album

Picture number: 1
Status
No records yet
Real Name
Elvis Presley
Birthplace
United States Hawaii
Residence
China Heilongjiang Harbin
Graduate school

University of Hawaii

Education
Other

Company Vivid

Profession Adult film star

Position Actor/Director/prop manager

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2017-11-27 10:24:02 |Display all floors
more small minded people

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.