Author: ceciliazhang

10 Popular Stereotypes About China That Couldn’t Be Further From the Truth [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-4-11 15:53:52 |Display all floors
  • Severe punishments for drug crimes. Most foreigners are outraged by that, and, unlike other points on my list, this is the truth: China is harsh with drugs, the punishments ranging from long imprisonment to the death sentence. However, it’s not a whim, but a necessity. At the turn of the 20th century, about a third of China’s populace were opium addicts, so it’s no surprise that the Chinese government do everything to prevent this occurring again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-11 15:54:30 |Display all floors
All Chinese people are kung fu masters. Right, and all Americans love hamburgers. Kung fu really is part and parcel of Chinese culture: no movie or TV show is shot without including kung fu fights. The number of adepts here is much larger than in the West, but most of them remain on quite a low level — let’s say, in line with amateur basketball.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-11 15:54:58 |Display all floors
One family — one child.

I hadn’t even asked my friends if they had siblings before I found out

they actually did, and not just one.

The one-child rule is for big cities. In the provinces, parents just pay the fine when they register the second (or third) child or even leave them unregistered — which doesn’t really bother them. By the way, starting January 1, 2016, the Chinese are allowed to have two kids.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-4-11 19:59:17 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-4-11 15:54
One family — one child. I hadn’t even asked my friends if they had siblings before I found out [/b ...

The Chinese population is getting older thus the need for the second child

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-4-11 20:47:51 |Display all floors
And why do Chinese consider blowing one's nose into a handkerchief or a tissue is "rude"?

Because they lack awareness of hygiene rules. They would rather sniffle and snuffle all day long, keeping the germ-filled liquids in their noses and making unpleasant sounds.

Polite Chinese won't mention this but how many are actually polite? If someone does blow his or her nose into a tissue they snigger and laugh out loud. Talk about politeness...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-11 20:51:31 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-4-11 15:53
  • China is a cheap country. There’s a huge cost gap between large cities and the provinces: you c ...

• The author is simple-minded. China is not cheap any more. She should visit it and explore the country at her own expense. Hotels cost more than what they are worth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-11 20:52:35 |Display all floors
    ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-4-11 15:53
    The Chinese only eat rice. Guys, Chinese cuisine is one of the most diverse in the world — even the ...

Well, most Chinese eat rice three times a day. No matter what accompanies rice, rice is in the bowl at breakfast, lunch and dinner. We have more variety in the West. Variety is important for health.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
    Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
    Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
    platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.