Author: sunnylin01

Would you dare leave kids with nanny? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-31 00:51:59 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2017-3-29 15:30

I just this week talked to my office women about her 16month old baby as she said she will send her to her Mother in her home town for two months so she can catch up on work as she has fallen behind since the baby was born.

I suggested a Nanny and she said in her words " News always say, Some lady look after baby then hit baby or give some med to baby then let baby sleep

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-5 08:00:16 |Display all floors
Hmm...did you also not look down on leaving kids with the grandparents?

Do you not also support sending elders to nursing homes?

So what's wrong with the nanny?

I thought that in China, you don't trust any strangers, so how come you trust nannies and even kindergarten teachers? In China where face is paramount, what type of people do you think will apply for nanny-type jobs? Since you look down on teachers, what type of people do you think will apply for teaching jobs? When people are unhappy, do you think they will treat others well?

Yes, it happens anywhere, but it's more serious in China. I guess Chinese blood runs deep, while I do see traces in overseas Chinese, but the situation is very extreme in China. In some ways, western culture is better. So sick of the competitiveness and the face culture. Too bad you got rid of the good stuff from old China but not the bad stuff. And you adopted the bad stuff and made it 100x more extreme.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-4-9 11:07:03 |Display all floors
smile1233 Post time: 2017-4-5 08:00
Hmm...did you also not look down on leaving kids with the grandparents?

Do you not also support se ...

for your information: Chinese nannies cost quite a pile of monthly pay and they can be choosey. I have heard of nannies commanding salaries of 7000 a month in addition to full boarding and food. that is twice as much as teachers make on average.

in fact, employing nannies and other domestics confers rather than removes "face". You will be seen as an upstart, a nouveau riche.  

Chinese nannies abroad also are in high demand. There are nanny agencies in London that require monthly salaries of 8000 English pounds. Their clients normally are Westerners who want their own children to be spoken to in native Mandarin.

Chinese mothers don't rush back to work as quickly as western women do. They often stay with their child cloistered up in a room. It is not exactlya healthy custom. they and their babies are treated as if they were infirm. So if a woman breaks old-fashioned habits like this, she will have to hire someone orrely on her grandparents.

I happen to have irst-hand experience with a mother-in-law as nanny. It is not everybody's cup of tea.
Remember that the young mother probably bore a child precisely because her mother was so insistent that she do; after the child is born the old woman will be very domineering in the household to ensure the young new-born really survives. Lack of general information keeps old habits in force. the young mother defers to the old mother.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-14 20:33:45 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2017-3-31 00:51
I just this week talked to my office women about her 16month old baby as she said she will send he ...

Mywife has the post birth depressions. That is what she says. There is an obvious potential cause: she has only one mother to look after her and our child. she says ideally there would be two mothers and two fathers who could pitch in. Every child should have two sets of grandparents, right? She only has one mother left, and mine are gone too.

Her mother's health is not exactly up to scratch. We had to take her to hospital two times because her heart began racing at a pace of 188 beats a minute.

On the other hand, hiring a nanny comes with risks you may never have heard in England. Apparently Chinese nannies feed their charges sleeping pills to tranquilise them. Sleeping pills require a doctor's prescription but apparently such drugs are easy enough to procure even if you do not really need them for yourself.

And of course you know what risks attach to sleeping pills.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-4-15 03:29:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-4-9 11:07
for your information: Chinese nannies cost quite a pile of monthly pay and they can be choosey.  ...

That seems a lot for China.

Disclaimer

This post and any attachments to it, may be confidential and are intended solely for the individual to whom I replied

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of Austin and do not necessarily represent those of the China Daily or the China Daily Forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-15 03:31:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-4-14 20:33
Mywife has the post birth depressions. That is what she says. There is an obvious potential cause: ...

I thought you'd have been firing blanks at your age for the last 20 years

Disclaimer

This post and any attachments to it, may be confidential and are intended solely for the individual to whom I replied

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of Austin and do not necessarily represent those of the China Daily or the China Daily Forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-4-15 09:19:02 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2017-4-15 03:29
That seems a lot for China.

My wife told me so before she even got pregnant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.