Author: linda_sun

Chinese language endangered by English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-20 15:12:23 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-3-20 13:49
Yes. I can understand when they are talking about something technical or economical that they have ...

If need arises use word or words of another language in place of the same language in conversation, then a lack of proficiency in that language is exhibited. Need to build a good vocabulary.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-20 15:13:49 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-3-20 13:49
Yes. I can understand when they are talking about something technical or economical that they have ...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-20 15:55:35 |Display all floors
Simplified Chinese is a new language started last century

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 16:03:48 |Display all floors
Any language is a living, constantly evolving thing. It is influenced by other languages, particularly in this age of instant communication. The only concern is the inclusion of slang from countries like America, where the language used in their media and film is often appalling.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 17:59:22 |Display all floors
I agree with TedM, that languages are evolving things that should be let to evolve. Some control can be applied to let them evolve in sustainable direction.

I think that the world would be much better place if everyone everywhere spoke one common language, and letting all languages evolve, will slowly lead to such language I believe.

In today's world that common language should be English, but I have no reason to believe that linguistically any language currently spoken is the absolute height of evolution in human languages.

The common language of future (way future) could be something completely different, or perhaps not even a language but some kind of universal translator device.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-21 06:00:59 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2017-3-20 16:03
Any language is a living, constantly evolving thing. It is influenced by other languages, particular ...

Chinese may turn into a meta language like English

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-21 15:11:38 |Display all floors
I can't imagine that as a Chinese.Since I'm also teaching English in China,I don't think English will be the top used languauage in China.We have such a huge number of people around the world,learning,teaching and trading,so very probably our Chinese  will play a more important role in the globe

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.