Author: wuzheyuamily

Would it help use Latin spelling to learn Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-19 06:04:49 |Display all floors
I couldn't possibly have an answer to your question albeit an interesting one.  Thank you for posting

I've been too busy during my life working harder than most for the well being of my family and building my business, to take any interest in Latin,  god, and whether the ozone layer is at a level that is likely to be damaging to the World

Learning Latin for 99% of the Worlds population will not pay your mortgage, pay the bills and put money in your pocket

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-19 09:32:54 |Display all floors
1105852048 Post time: 2017-3-19 00:56
All one has to do is to look how children learn to speak. They do not learn to write until later i ...

+Well, this is a much hackneyed belief coming from N America and it has some merits but it is used like a bulldozer to ram down all teaching methods, successful and not so successful, that differ from it. The truth is that the sooner you learn to read, the sooner you can learn the language by modelling your thought processes and language on originals. You then become your own teacher.

But why discuss this? The original post is about teaching Chinese to ADULT foreign learners, not to primary school pupils. You will have to agree that learning how to look up a word in a dictionary is of paramount impolrtance, perhaps more so for Chinese than for other languages.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-19 09:39:09 |Display all floors
I still don't know how this new method imparts identical information on phonetics  to speakers of different mother tongue speakers. All foreigners are baffled by the need of Mandarin to have Hanyu Pinyin spellings such as "Q", "ZH", "Z", "C", "CH" and "J". There is no single approach to teaching these sounds that applies to speakers of all foreign tongues.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-19 11:49:18 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-3-18 15:29
congratulations
you can copy and past straight from China Daily now.

She already does

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-19 11:58:15 |Display all floors
Are you referring to the Wade-Giles method of romanizing Chinese? Or is this another invention totally?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-19 12:42:05 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-3-18 15:29
congratulations
you can copy and past straight from China Daily now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.