Author: linda_sun

Is the ban on paper money appropriate?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-16 17:40:44 |Display all floors
I think this is about enviironment and fire safety. Is it bad use of resources to cut trees and burn coal to make paper objects like this, only to burn them in often random places.

I understand that Chinese custom is to send their dead loved ones depictions of items that they may need in the afterlife. But I think that this sets quite low standards to the afterlife itself. As least I would rather transcend to a place where such things didn't matter anymore, or were replaced by much better things that the living cannot even imagine.

Perhaps the Chinese thinking could reform from that point of view - let the deceased go to a better place than they were at.

As far as remembering the departed, in my home country candles and flowers are normally used, but not just anywhere but at designated graveyards.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-16 17:54:13 |Display all floors
Nice pictures

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-3-16 19:16:34 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-3-16 17:40
I think this is about enviironment and fire safety. Is it bad use of resources to cut trees and burn ...

Bravo for a post well written. I hope it will seep into the Chinese collective mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 22:02:18 |Display all floors
In our haste to sound clever, let us not discount the empirical encouragement denoted which says the Taoist Masters knew a thing or two about the afterlife.

Because of inflation, these Chinese-made tao paper accoutrements and regalia have been supplanted by those made by the vietnamese these days, or if still supplied, are less in variety when supplied as a package of different sets of colored papers, some with repeated figures edged on them.

BUT they are still welcomed by those who have moved on to the other world where the memories of this one may still be echoing and pinging across the unknown.

Saying for that matter believing in it is not hedging one's bet that if right, one will be blessed and if wrong, it would just be burning real money to buy and burn paper ones in accordance with a customs set for centuries by probably millions.

Because of the empirical observation of merrily flickering oil wick lights whenever it is done even on breezeless moments.

This one, for all the Taoist Masters of China. Come what may.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 22:51:11 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-3-16 16:16
Why don't you defend one of the very few wise instructions given to the people by the government? Su ...

Intentional attack on beliefs of Chinese is very an attitude towards them.
You have no respect for them!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 23:00:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-3-16 16:16
Why don't you defend one of the very few wise instructions given to the people by the government? Su ...

Respect begets respect!
Your posting contents imply that you have some latent wishes to create social disharmony to meet your goals as directed by those behind you.
Please avoid posting such irresponsible contents with intentional hurt to those Chinese who practise it.
Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 23:05:16 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-3-16 16:17
Insane custom. Intelligent life seeks cleverer ways to show its reverence for its own dearly departe ...

Please note your contents intentionally aim to hit hard on some cultural aspects of Chinese with consequences of rising hate among themselves and gradually leading them to go against their government through latent means.
Your intentioons are clearly more than harmful.
Please delete them and do not post such contents.
Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.