Author: linda_sun

Should China's only children get paid leave to take care of parents?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-15 10:56:51 |Display all floors
ShilkaT Post time: 2017-3-15 10:27
Not really, because we could see homeless aged people in our life.

You do in China I don't in Australia little ghost

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-15 10:59:44 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2017-3-15 10:56
You do in China I don't in Australia little ghost

Little still means YES, lol
Nice to meet you, Austrian friend.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-15 11:08:06 |Display all floors
ShilkaT Post time: 2017-3-15 10:59
Little still means YES, lol
Nice to meet you, Austrian friend.

Nice to meet you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 07:20:20 |Display all floors
Chinese society has changed since the days of large families living at home and caring for the elderly. Following the single child policies, the migration of adults to the cities and increasing western attitudes, the practices of filial duty can now cause unhappiness and divorce. The elderly may now find that they are abandoned. It is an urgent problem with the increasing elderly population of China.
The only answers are for the state to provide for the elderly, or/and to invest in a return to rural industries and businesses through use of the internet. This is a global problem that each country is trying to resolve in its own way. Paying children to stay home is not a feasible idea as too many Chinese young people now want their independence.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 07:54:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by fatdragon at 2017-3-16 07:54

So my stepdaughter daughter who lives in Beijing would get paid leave from a job she retired from to look after her mother who lives in Chengdu and who's role in Chinese society is to look after her granddaughter. Then there is her husband who also lives in Chengdu and has parents in Shanghai. And least we forget it, there is my wife's mother who is 85 years old and lives a couple of hours outside of Chengdu. My wife has a broken ankle, her older sister's husband had a fall and has broken his ribs and an arm and her younger sister's boyfriend had both his arms broken.

Somehow this proposal isn't going to work.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 10:12:52 |Display all floors
In-home agedcare or nursing home should do although most Chinese people feel humiliated that they have to live in nursing home.  literally speaking, there should be no problems at all, just need to save money for a good one maybe.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-16 15:28:36 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-3-16 10:12
In-home agedcare or nursing home should do although most Chinese people feel humiliated that they ha ...

Some nursing homes are now unqualified in the terms of personnel and equipment. I think it is the trend  to send the elderly to the nursing homes. With time, people's attitudes are changing.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.