Author: 茉莉儿

What are reasons there are few original films in China?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-15 17:27:25 |Display all floors
I think the bottom reason is that Chinese are different from foreigners on the way to express ideas!
We must study why some foreign films are so successful.
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-15 18:16:11 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-3-13 14:59
Note that OP never mentioned Hollywood.

Hollywood is home to blockbuster entertainment movies, bu ...

As far as I am concerned, you mentioned a lot of things about cultural communication and interaction that play a central role in the development of Chinese original films. Your words, however, remind me the popularity of Korean TV series in China, which appeals to people's demand for culture. For example, the frequent use of Chinese characters and the cultivation of Chinese traditional virtue. We share the Asian culture. Unfortunately, Chinese films tend to play less attention to the target audience of cultural background imformation. Maybe, we should consider what original films are and what they can do for people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-15 18:32:44 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-3-15 17:27
I think the bottom reason is that Chinese are different from foreigners on the way to express ideas! ...

Yes,we both came up with the same solution to the problem. That is what I am going to say.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-3-15 18:41:09 |Display all floors
茉莉儿 Post time: 2017-3-15 17:15
What do you think it means?

The party needs to stay out of the Chinese movie industry

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-15 18:50:24 |Display all floors
alexeagle Post time: 2017-3-13 16:15
you know why Chinese movies look so dull , because they control the feeling .the emotion . and the a ...

No, I am sorry, I can not agree with you. We do not control our feelings in Chinese movies and daily life. The Chinese tend to express their emotions in an implicit way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 09:37:47 |Display all floors
Rather than try to make and sell Chinese films with original indigenous themes, try to make and sell global blockbusters first.  This will attract more talent besides earn funds for subsequent productions. Aim for the film industry to be a globally independent success first before creating a China brand name for digital celluloid distinction.

Second, start a globally-attuned film academy that can (a) analyze the success factors of overseas blockbusters, (b) professionally select and train budding actors and actresses, and (c) package global marketing and funding of movies.

Third, restrain from ploughing funds as is happening these days into foreign movies that end up as forgettable fizzles even with the occasional Chinese face; instead save the money for a more scientific approach to development of local industries.

Sword Master was a good effort but into its first ten seconds, Kong was already omg....  Tsui Hark did later redeem his anglocized Once Upon A Time with the Detective Dee and Tiger Mountain.  Which, four, seems to say send budding producers, directors and scriptwriters overseas to sponge up techniques and thoughts for say five years each.

So that five, earn stripes first with script-writing and editing. China is probably number one in choreography and photography for films but writing credible flowing emotion-stirring scripts with sparkling pathos is a challenge, as is with proper keen eye editing to create believability and eliminate avant-garde nonsense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-16 12:39:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by markwu at 2017-3-17 07:58

Figure out how the SKoreans have done it; analyze their Pandora, as a small example.  Forget the Japanese; they are avant garde but stodgy nutheads. China is somewhere between the SKoreans and the Japanese in thematic approach to movie making.

Tap the Hongkong SAR skillsets before they fall too much into over-dramatisation as you can see with Cold War II.  

Who can be China's Spielsberg, Emmerich, Petersen, Greengrass, Scott, Cameron, Jackson and Bay? Also, study Disney's animation scripts and music scores carefully. Completely missing in all Chinese movies - witty repartees.

There's something else i wish to say here.  It's not just entertainment but also military application. Here's my thought - those who make highly saleable movies will be good at scamming perceptions of the mind. It may not just be adding twists to virtual reality.  But also camouflage science.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.