Author: SherrySongSHSF

Raise cigarette prices to snuff teen smoking?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-10 12:41:08 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-3-10 09:36
So do you mean 4% of population in those subgroups, not 4% of the subgroups?

The subgroups in tha ...

"So do you mean 4% of population in those subgroups, not 4% of the subgroups?" ... yes

When it comes to youth in China, you can raise the price all you want. Unless shop owners stop selling to them and demand ID to verify that they are of legal age to smoke, they are still going to buy, or steal, or have someone buy their cigarettes for them. Where there's a will, there's a way. Teenagers are at that age where they push and test their boundaries. Anything that is "forbidden fruit", so to speak ... they want to find out why, so they will try it just to test that boundary. Why is it ok for adults to smoke, but I can't? What's the big mystery? Why is it that, at 17 years of age, I can join the army, and there's a big possibility that I can be sent to war, and kill people, but I can't smoke? What makes killing ok, and smoking not ok? Why is that, at 18 years old, I can vote for the next leader of my country (USA), but it's illegal for me to smoke or drink until I am 21 years old? (in Canada, the age to vote is 18, but smoking and drinking is illegal until 19, in most provinces.)

IMO, people are oversimplifying the cause and effect theory. The thinking is that if you cause the price to go up, the effect will be that people will quit smoking, or not start at all. In reality, the increase in the price of cigarettes actually has very little effect on the numbers of people who already smoke. It may have an effect on the number of people who will start, but not by very much.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 19:34:16 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 23:17
Since I am presently IN Canada ... yes, they are famous here for using false and misleading tactic ...

I live in Canada as well, 7 months of the year, health Canada famous......I've heard them called many things, but never famous.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-11 02:35:36 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2017-3-10 19:34
I live in Canada as well, 7 months of the year, health Canada famous......I've heard them call ...

Well ... maybe "infamous".  lol
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-11 04:52:27 |Display all floors
Australia has the highest priced cigarettes on earth but a lot of people still smoke because they are addicted. The Australian Government doesnt actually want them to quit, they just want to exploit the addiction for billions in tax revenue. The Australian Government actually bans vaping. Since we have ludicrous tax on cigarettes the electronic cigarettes are only a fraction of the price, and they can be used to help people quit but that is the last thing the Australian Government wants so they ban e-cigs to protect the tax revenue that they rake in from the low socioeconomic addict smokers. The political class in Australia truly are demons.

With young people the best way is to have strong laws to stop cigarettes from being sold to minors. There must be large fines for any shop caught selling to minors. Another thing is to ban advertising that makes smoking seem hip. And another thing is to ban any media that promotes smoking to the young. This kind of thing has reduced smoking in young people a great deal in places like Australia. Young people do not think that smoking is cool anymore - it is something that old poor people do - or that the wealthy do on occasion to try look cool while they are having a night out/drink.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-11 05:06:31 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-3-8 17:13
Wrong. Numerous studies show that it does. For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ...
However, the impact of increased price on smoking initiation is less clear. Of 22 studies on the role of price in preventing smoking initiation, seven found that increased price prevents smoking onset nine found that it does not and six found that price prevents initiation in some cases.

- your link

Ha. What a load of horse %$%$.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-11 14:25:29 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-3-11 04:52
Australia has the highest priced cigarettes on earth but a lot of people still smoke because they ar ...

You ought to see what they are doing in Canada with Bill S-5. Not good for vapers!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-11 14:46:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-3-8 21:05
Yes.   Raise the smoking age to a minimum of 50 years so that only the old start, especi ...

Please do not impress upon others your IGNORANCE!
People could smoke but not in public!
You have a very shallow mind!
Know not but talk!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.