Author: SherrySongSHSF

Raise cigarette prices to snuff teen smoking?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-10 00:02:03 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 10:46
Actually, this graphic uses false and misleading information to get its point across. Health Canad ...

I remember reading about the added chemicals...

The truth is the effects of nicotine are only a very small part of what causes you to be addicted to cigarette smoking. Scientifically, Nicotine by itself is only a mild central system stimulant similar to caffeine and has very mild addictive properties also much like caffeine.Apr 14, 2012
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 00:03:59 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 10:46
Actually, this graphic uses false and misleading information to get its point across. Health Canad ...

Oh and I didn't know that Health Canada is famous here for using tactics like this.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 00:11:48 |Display all floors
ciggs usa.jpg

ciggs cda.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 07:42:29 |Display all floors
Yes. Canada cut down youth smoking by raising price drastically!
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 09:36:48 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 23:38
Look at the populations of the subgroups studied, and you will be able to figure out the math invo ...

So do you mean 4% of population in those subgroups, not 4% of the subgroups?

The subgroups in that study (which is a synthesis of previous research) are groups that have been noted to continue with high smoking rates despite government efforts that have been succesful among general population.

This study does not reflect on overall effect of cigarette price increases - it is already proven to have effect in general population ("On average, a price increase of 10% on a pack of cigarettes would reduce demand for cigarettes by about 4% for the general adult population in high income countries").

I repeat, that this study shows that furtherprice increases are effectivemeasure to reduce smoking among "youth, young adults, and persons of low socioeconomic status".

These are subgroups that matter in China. Nobody expects Chinese smoking habits to change overnight, it will take generations, and in that the youth of today are relevant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 12:17:18 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2017-3-10 00:03
Oh and I didn't know that Health Canada is famous here for using tactics like this.

Since I am presently IN Canada ... yes, they are famous here for using false and misleading tactics such as these.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 12:20:20 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-3-10 07:42
Yes. Canada cut down youth smoking by raising price drastically!

Actually, youth smoking in Canada started to drop at the same time vaping started to rise in popularity. Price increases helped a tiny bit, but not really enough to make any appreciable effect.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.