Author: linda_sun

Should the Spring Festival holiday be extended to 15 days?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-9 20:17:26 |Display all floors
A longer holiday period may not ease traffic during return if travelers take the opportunity to again delay their return until the last minute in order to enjoy more time with their family although it may ease traffic when they make their homeward journey since they will have more days to do so now.

Stimulating economic growth is good but i can't help but sympathize with the people who will have to still man transport, counters, eateries, tourist spots and shops to provide services and sell goods to a bigger avalanche of holiday-makers while they have to work.

The other concern is tourist spots. A longer holiday may mean more visitors and some heritage spots may not be able to take the extra large crowd. I guess here some regular media broadcasts each day of how packed the places are may help put off those who would otherwise be making visits only to find the places are too packed to even move. Or to swim as for beaches. When that happens, the extra time may actually become counterproductive to relaxation and cost-effectiveness.

But the heart tugs when one remembers the construction worker who slogs in burning summer and blistery winter; he needs a good rest and the extra days will at least help him get home and come back through heavy and congested traffic on long journeys.

So it's a tough decision. One suspects it is an irreversible decision since if you give it to try out one time to see if there are benefits and solutions, it will be hard to reverse the decision the year after.  Maybe if there is some data like transport ticket daily sales to show trends of movement in past years, one can get a better handle on the situation.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-9 23:18:35 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2017-3-9 09:53
Would it be possible to order larger quantities, in preparation of the Chinese New Year?

Millions of businesses around the world order their products from Chinese manufacturers.

#1) Mfrs could not fulfill the demand, given the current state of the workforce.
#2) Shipping companies would not be able ship such a large quantity of products in time.
#3) Customs officials, and import/export companies would not be able to keep up with processing times to enable such an expedited venture.

These are only three of the many reasons why your idea would not work. In a perfect world, maybe, but we do not live in a perfect world, do we? You also have to take into account that if you ramp up production speeds, you also increase the amount of wear and tear on manufacturing equipment, and the subsequent mechanical breakdowns of that equipment. Downtime due to breakdowns and maintenance greatly slows production.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-9 23:43:02 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2017-3-9 20:17
A longer holiday period may not ease traffic during return if travelers take the opportunity to agai ...

The pressure on modes of transport during Spring Fest occurs during the seven days prior to it. Increasing Spring Fest to fifteen days could not solve or ease the problem. Reason is the Reunion Dinner. Further with more days, everyone would want to go home immediately. Service industries may have to pay more and quality of service may slide.
However, if high speed train could reach almost any city, and their flights increase during Spring Fest, then the pressure could be eased. Gradually, all high speed train will be replaced with magelv train. It will be more efficient!
Of course, gradually private aircrafts within certain flight distance could be introduced to reduce pressure on land transport.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-9 23:45:45 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 23:18
Millions of businesses around the world order their products from Chinese manufacturers.

#1) Mfrs ...

The world is IMPERFECT!
Human beings are IMPERFECT!
Beauty is to solve and bring closer to PERFECT with each step forward.
Challenge is a beauty when conquered does not mean an end but rather the beginning of a new phase and perhaps with more tougher or difficult problems or challenges ahead!
This is what life is worth the while and living for!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 10:18:58 |Display all floors
I was under the impression that Spring Festival actually was 15 days anyway.  Beginning on the first new moon of the first lunar month and ending on the first full moon of the first lunar month, which is Lantern Festival... a span of about 15 days.  Lantern Festival marks the end of Spring Festival.  It's not going to effect students because they are already off on a 4-6 week break.  It's not going to effect bus drivers, train/airline attendants, ticket sellers and station workers, cabbies, or the police because they must work through the holiday regardless.  Most restaurants and shops only shut down for 3 days because they need the revenue and their employees need the income.  I think the only ones that enjoy a week's holiday now are government workers, large corporate businesses, and the banks.  In the scope of business and commerce, fifteen days is a long time.  If I had to delay trade, financial transactions, or business decisions for 15 days because of a holiday, I'd take my business elsewhere.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-10 13:28:22 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-3-9 23:18

#1) Mfrs ...

What if the manufactures are not at full capacity as is? What if the customs offices hired more people suitable for the job? What if the orders giving, were done with time constraints in mind?

I see no problem with any of these complications being easily solved. I live in China at the moment, I see how it actually is over here. Many factories could use the down time to fix or upgrade their machinery. Not everyone gets off at the same time. That would be impossible, well almost.  
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-11 03:09:58 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2017-3-10 13:28
What if the manufactures are not at full capacity as is? What if the customs offices hired more pe ...

I lived in China for 11 years. I know what it's like as well. Manufacturing plants give their employees a "salary". Overtime, such as that which would be needed during a holiday shutdown, would not happen because employees would not be given any incentive to stay and work. Fixing or upgrading machinery requires that money be spent. That money would only be spent if it is absolutely necessary. If a repair can be jury-rigged, that is preferable to a replacement because it costs less.

Customs and border control departments all over the world are very selective in who they hire. Background checks, bonding, trustworthiness of the customs employee, etc. This is a long process. It's not a simple, "You're hired".

Wholesalers order up to three months before the start of the Lunar New Year. At the same time, you have to remember that the wholesaler may have hundreds or thousands of retailers that it ships to.

The run-up to the Lunar New Year is nothing short of a logistical nightmare. Wholesalers can "guesstimate" how much product they will need to order, based on sales-to-date data, but warehouses only hold a limited amount of product. Building, buying, or leasing more warehouse space is often not a viable option. It's not like Sim City where if you need a building, you just plop one down anywhere.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.