Author: senoritazhao

Should rich people pay more tax? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-3-8 03:27:27 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-3-7 02:09
It is not fair to make high income earners pay more tax plus it gives them an excuse to forever comp ...

Consumption taxes are GREATLY unfair. Rich people actually spend MUCH LOWER % of their income on consumption. Poor people spend ALL of their income on consumption. This is called the Marginal Propensity to Consume (MPC). I'm rich myself; and that tells you I AM NOT LYING. Nobless oblige my rich friend! The way we all got rich was because of the law and order and infrastructure the TAXPAYERS GAVE US!
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-8 03:40:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-8 10:57:14 |Display all floors
it won't change a lot about the situation ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-8 13:26:14 |Display all floors
China has progressive tax regime, which means the rich already pay bigger percentage of tax than the poor. The question should be how much more the rich should pay than the poor.

There is no fixed answer to that - it depends on current state and expected development of society, including all of its aspects from quantity and quality of employees to investments needed in inftrastructure to military spending. As those change, so should details of tax regime change. And China is in constant change.

In China, the poor (Chinese) who earn less than 42000 a year (or 3500 a month) are now exempt from paying taxes.

To put this in perspective, we can look at average wages in China. I have data from 2012 available - for example in cities like Harbin, Zhengzhou, Jinan and Changsha, the average salary was less than 3500 RMB a month. This means that average person living in those cities did not pay any taxes.

Someone suggested than this threshold should be increased to 100 000 RMB.

In 2012 there was no city in China, where average annual salary was higher than 65 000 RMB. A threshold of 100 000 would mean that "average person" in China would never pay taxes, only a small minority would. And that's just for provincial capitals - add to that every smaller city, and you would have a really small minority paying taxes.

Even if the tax revenue from that minority would be enough to finance the state, it would obviously not be socially fair or sustainable - taxes should always come from majority of the population.

To this equation one must include regional disparity, which exists in all countries but especially in China. What could be fair, is if the national standard deduction of 3500 RMB was regionalized based on average income in each locality. Besides making it fairer between regions, it could even motivate people and their businesses to migrate out from big cities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-8 20:47:26 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-3-7 14:40
The wealthy may spend a lower percentage of their income on consumption and yes poor people have n ...

1. The wiki definition you included does not consider the decrease in likelihood that each increased unit of money will be spent on consumption and the increase in the likelihood that the unit will be saved or invested.
2. Are you saying that the sheer number of poor people (and the lower number of wealthy) does not mean the poor contribute very substantially to effective consumer demand?
3. Why should not the "ability to pay" be the determonant of tax obligations? In both the pragmatic and moral sense?
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-9 07:27:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-9 11:01:35 |Display all floors
yes, of course.
I'm a sociologist and writer. I have published books, such as "Rota de fuga, a história não conta ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.