Views: 1537|Replies: 4

Do Chinese people use bad Chinese the way English speakers use bad English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-16 05:24:12 |Display all floors
There are formal and informal styles of English.  A foreign learner who has learned English in school will find it easier to read formal English because formal English will follow the rules of grammar and proper usage that is taught in schools.

Informal English can use wrong grammar, slang and colloquialisms, and careless pronunciation that make it more difficult to understand for a foreign learner who learned English in school.  On the other hand,  informal English can be easier to pick up through speaking, if someone has the opportunity to spend time with Engliish speakers.

Even English speakers who are educated and can use formal English will use informal English in casual settings.

But aside from that, many English speakers use "bad English."  Misspellings and many other mistakes.  If a foreign learner of Emglish comes across something written in "bad English" (easy to find on the internet) they may wonder, "Why I can't understand this?"  

My question is whether many Chinese people use "bad Chinese" either in speaking or writing.  Wrong grammar or characters written incorrectly or other kinds of mistakes.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-16 06:30:01 |Display all floors
Bad English!? do you mean colloquial English or telephone talk?

Oye mate ain't it a brill day ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-16 06:42:21 |Display all floors
No, I mean the kind of semi-literate English commonly found on the internet.

What you wrote is informal or colloquial English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-16 08:43:02 |Display all floors
Interestingly, some incorrect or substandard grammar have been accepted without correction. Blacks love to say, 'Me and my brother goes to drink!'. They were taught standard grammar in English but committed silly obvious mistakes but think they are correct. Same happens with Chinese. Unfortunately, in dialetic expressions the meanings could be completely different. So, for some languages grammar is rather complicated than the rules to abide and comply with as taught in school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-23 22:15:31 |Display all floors
I don't bear any grammatical rules in my mind when I speak or write in Chinese.

As to the quality of Chinese, it largely depends on educational background and efforts of individuals'. For example, no everyone go to university. And there are many people who never go to university but excel in the Chinese language due to their rentless efforts and /or interest.

A coin has double sides. Likewise good Chinese language always goes hand in hand with the bad one.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.