Views: 5092|Replies: 69

Austria to ban FULL FACE veils in public places   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-1 04:36:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2017-2-1 04:37

Austria is the latest European country to move to ban the full facial veil in public spaces.

The country’s ruling coalition this week agreed to prohibit full-face veils such as the burqa and the niqab in courts and schools, while further investigating the possibility of banning headscarves for women employed in public services.

The ban is part of a package of changes hammered out by the ruling Social Democratic party (SPÖ) and the centre-right Austrian People’s party (ÖVP) to avert the collapse of their coalition government, which would have triggered snap elections.

Other new policy goals they agreed include expanding Austria’s CCTV network and as well as a compulsory “integration year” for asylum seekers, during which they would have to commit themselves to learning German and working for a charitable organisation.

The ban of the full-face veil is seen above all as a symbolic measure designed to avert pressure from the anti-immigration Freedom party (FPÖ), which is currently leading in the polls. Only between 100 and 150 women are estimated to wear the full facial veil in Austria. A spokesperson emphasised the ban would apply for tourist destinations such as the Zell am See ski resort as well as the urban centre of Vienna.

A ban of the full face veil has been place in France and Belgium since 2011, the Netherlands introduced a partial ban in 2015, and the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, endorsed her party’s call to ban the full face veil “wherever it is legally possible” last year.

While the government’s working paper also said civil servants in executive positions, such as judges and state prosecutors, should be forced to wear “religiously neutral” clothing, the Austrian justice ministry has distanced itself from the proposals, stating that guidelines already prescribe specific clothing in court.

According to Der Standard newspaper, there are no women with headscarves working for Austria’s police force or the country’s courts.

The president of Austria’s Islamic Community, Ibrahim Olgun, criticised the proposed ban, saying it would “pull the rug” under efforts to create a good working relationship between the government and the Muslim community.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-1 04:37:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2017-4-20 15:56

When will the UK follow suit?

Disclaimer

This post and any attachments to it, may be confidential and are intended solely for the individual to whom I replied

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of Austin and do not necessarily represent those of the China Daily or the China Daily Forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-1 05:38:59 |Display all floors
Guessed

I guessed who the OP was when I read the title.
When are the Austrians going to ban politicians junket trips to Israel ?
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-1 08:51:26 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2017-2-1 04:37
When will the UK follow suit?

After the civil war at a guess.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-1 15:16:43 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2017-2-1 05:38
Guessed

I guessed who the OP was when I read the title.

I hope all people of the world will visit Israel in an orderly fashion. It is one of the most culturally fascinating countries with one of the richest histories in the world. The only people I would ban to go there are you and your family of rabbits and canaries.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-2-1 15:43:43 |Display all floors
Great idea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-1 16:28:56 |Display all floors
We never see them in france now good austrie are doing that

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.