Views: 124871|Replies: 62

How China, and the World, Can Improve Themselves   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-17 12:29:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Leucophoenicite at 2017-1-17 12:36

Hello China and the world,

Regarding genetic differences between individual/groups with respect IQ and the Big Five Personality Traits (conscientiousness, open-to-experience, tough-mindedness, neuroticism, extroversion), I believe that China should fully subsidize the availability of germ-line genetic engineering, embryo selection/IVF, and cloning to every citizen of China.  No one would be forced to use these technologies, but it would be available to those who want to use it to create children with good genes to increase their chances of having a better life.  

Regarding the proverb "Give a man a fish, he eats just today; teach him how to fish, he eats forever," my suggested voluntary eugenics policy will help ensure that individuals are more self-sufficient and less in need of life-long welfare services, saving money for the government.  

Another issue: environment CAN improve "g" if we actually alter the biological correlates of it.  For example, we know that the quantity of brain neurons in the various areas of the cerebral cortex positively correlates to IQ.  The parietal lobe accounts for visuo-spatial IQ, while the temporal lobes account for verbal IQ.  And I believe the prefrontal cortex accounts for general reasoning and works synergistically with the other lobes.

As such, if we can increase the quantity of neurons in these areas, we can increase the various forms of IQ.  Promising methods include delivering stem cells to the cerebral cortex which would replicate and increase neuron quantity.

Similarly, we can try to alter the other biological correlates of IQ such as the speed of nerve conduction and so forth.  But of course, much more research is required.  We do know what does NOT work, such as "enriched" educational environments.  The brain is not a magical organ that grows by talking to it; rather, it is a computer.  I can talk to my laptop all I want, but it will not make it smarter; rather, I need to directly alter its physical qualities to boost its IQ, such as put in more RAM and a faster processor chip.  And to increase the computer's visuo-spatial IQ, I would have to put in a separate graphics processing unit (GPU) (analogous to the parietal lobe).

A computer's RAM is analogous to the quantity of neurons in the cerebral cortex, and a computer's CPU is analogous to nerve conduction speed (though I am no doubt simplifying much of this).

A better RAM module has more capacitors so more charges can be held (one charge is held per capacitor), and each charge corresponds to a bit (0 or 1).  A higher capacitor processor can thus hold more complex software and manipulate it.  Similarly, in the brain, each neuron is analogous to a RAM capacitor - more neurons mean more complex ideas can be held and manipulated.  A neuron with its dendrites and axons hold charges, and a more complex idea, such as engineering calculus, would require more brain charges to represent it, similar to how a more complex computer software would have more bits and would require more RAM capacitors to hold and manipulate it.  So, more brain neurons would be required to hold and manipulate the engineering calculus "software."  Given this simple analogy, it makes no scientific sense for Cultural Marxists to claim that brain size has no effect on intelligence.

Plus, if one considers how the DNA builds the fetal brain in the uterus, it becomes apparent that "educational enrichment" can't change brain biology.  The building blocks of the brain are neurons.  In the womb, DNA is being read which instructs how often the fetal brain cells should replicate, and in what patterns, to create the final size and structure of the brain.  Once the brain size and structure has been reached according to the DNA blueprint (and I am not sure if the specified number of cell splittings to achieve the number of neurons the DNA calls for is achieved before birth or continues for a while after birth), I don't see how educational "enrichment" can alter the genetic code to increase brain cell splittings to create more cerebral cortex neurons (unless you are aware of some epigenetic effect, which so far has not been proven to exist).

So, let's say we have an individual with bad genes.  The above six paragraphs on environmental manipulation explain how we can boost his various IQs, while the two paragraphs above that explain how we can ensure his offspring will be born with good genes.  And I believe the government should subsidize this environmental manipulation as well for all citizens (by environmental manipulation, I mean making any changes to the phenotype that was not already done by the genotype).

Science tells us what genes are desirable (though I understand that "desirable" is, objectively speaking, purely subjective since value is in the eye of the beholder).  So, if all the ethnic groups of mankind decided to alter their respective gene pools to eventually reach this genetic status quo, we would all end up becoming the same: IQ of 200 in all three IQ types, high conscientiousness, high "Open-to-Experience" (The Big-Five personality trait that accounts for creativity)," balanced "Altruism/Agreeableness," physically robust body with a strong and adaptive immune system, excellent athletic ability and coordination, etc.  We would achieve scientifically valid equality, not the pseudo-scientific equality as supported by current Cultural Marxists.  
________________________________________________________________________________________

One thing I forgot to mention is that if we were to try to increase the number of neurons in an adult, the brain volume would increase and would require a corresponding increase in skull size. I am sure scientists can figure out how to do this.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I was thinking about an analogy between providing an "enriched" environment for the human brain in the attempts to increase IQ versus providing an "enriched" environment for a laptop computer to increase its IQ.

With the human brain, Cultural Marxists try to get the human brain to process various "enrichments" such as classical music, mathematics, parental coddling, and so forth in an attempt to alter the biological correlates of IQ.

Well, let us try the same with a laptop computer. Let's take a computer with an old 1995 Pentium Pro processor running at 200 MHz and with 500 megabytes of RAM. This would be analogous to, let's say, a person with an IQ of 70.

Now, let's see if we can augment the laptop's IQ by providing it with a "rich" environment. With the laptop, we would do this by trying to run software that are more complex than it can currently handle. For example, we can try installing Windows 7 on it, or the latest Macintosh, or Microsoft Office 2016.

We can also play classical music CDs on the computer and run astronomy lectures from YouTube in the computer's browser.

Let's do all of this for a few years. Now, let's re-examine the laptop's IQ. Did the processor improve and make a leap from Pentium Pro to Intel Core i7 quad-core? Did the RAM jump up to eight gigabytes?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-18 13:39:02 |Display all floors
I don't believe Trump has the required personality to support this policy; instead, I believe he will support dysgenics.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-18 22:05:21 |Display all floors
BillionGalaxies Post time: 2017-1-18 13:39
I don't believe Trump has the required personality to support this policy; instead, I believe he wil ...

Love: love is what makes a man smart.  Love drives the spirit, the Soul, to higher levels.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-24 03:49:37 |Display all floors
BillionGalaxies Post time: 2017-1-18 13:39
I don't believe Trump has the required personality to support this policy; instead, I believe he wil ...

Trump supports having no laws: virtual anarchism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-25 14:12:12 |Display all floors
We should not play god.  Don't mess with genes or the brain.  Only god can do this, not man.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-1-26 05:43:48 |Display all floors
AlexanderGreat Post time: 2017-1-24 03:49
Trump supports having no laws: virtual anarchism.

You must be an unpaid Chinese government ghost

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-1-26 05:44:12 |Display all floors
Rubbish thread

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.