Views: 734|Replies: 4

是 is scenery-like character [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-16 10:49:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-1-16 10:58

日 is the Sun which original form is a circle with a short horizon stroke in it that looks like the round star!
The lower part of 是 shapes like 正. ---------The bottom stroke of 正 is (一)that symbols the “ground” and the remaining part of 正 looks like you are standing (on the ground) with two legs touching (the ground) and only one of your feet can be seen. Yes , 正 means ‘straight’.   ---------the lower component of 是 also represents that you are walking with the right foot is going to overtake the left one!-------You are walking as soldier with the foot-tip up in the air with great confidence!

So the picture of 是 that someone is walking in the sunshine with the bright Sun overhead.  是 means “Yes” or "right' or “the right things you have done”.

On the contrast, some bad men always do crimes in the darkness with their body shrunken that scene is quite different from 是!)

The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 11:02:56 |Display all floors
Good understanding to the structure of chinese characters is useful for you to achieve nice handwriting when you really enjoy calligraphy as drawing paintings!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-16 15:48:43 |Display all floors
About "some bad men always do crimes in the darkness with their body shrunken"_
This reminds me another special Word 贼: its first part is 贝 (seashell) that stands for money; 戈 is a kind of metal weapon in ancient China; the middle part is 大 minus one "leg"  since 大 looks like a man standing with his arms and legs strentching out!
Then, how to understand 贼?
One small man who tries to hide part of his body is waving a big knife in the air and ask you for money!  Yes, thief has something to do with knife and money!

"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-20 03:53:12 |Display all floors
I very much appreciate your threads about the origins and deeper meanings of Chinese characters!

This is a subject that has interested me for a long time.  I studied Chinese for a year in college (a long long time ago) and though I quickly forgot most of what I learned about the spoken language, I loved studying characters and their history.  Every character had a rich history that reflected the long and rich history of China.  (I am American, by the way.)

Some of these interesting details may be lost in the simplified characters.  Traditional characters also are more beautiful.  Are traditional characters studied in the Chinese curriculum?  Surely that would be an important part of teaching Chinese students to appreciate their own history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-22 09:04:22 |Display all floors
Gayle Post time: 2017-2-20 03:53
I very much appreciate your threads about the origins and deeper meanings of Chinese characters!

Th ...

Thanks for your warm reply! (It is snowing outside although in Spring!)
I have posted many writings on similar topic and you have a look when you are free! Of course I would like introduce more interesting characters to foreign friends!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.