Author: truthbetold1

How to do in China when strangers approach foreigners kids on the streets.   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-15 18:46:03 |Display all floors
in my experience, Chinese people seem to think it is ok to touch me (especially my hair) or take my picture without me permission.
they might think it is 'curiosity', but it is just rude.

would they do it to another Chinese person who is a stranger, or is it only because we are not Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 19:26:34 |Display all floors
When you have lived in China for long enough you recognise that Chinese people are generally very friendly and very curious. Perhaps this is not so in the westernised large cities, but in central China where foreigners are more rare it is common for them to look at you or want to take a photo. Children touch your hair and find beards and hairy arms fascinating. They mean no harm.  It is not uncommon for a Chinese person to come close into your personal space in order to listen to your strange language. Be understanding and show tolerance. They want to be friendly.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 19:45:43 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2017-1-15 19:26
When you have lived in China for long enough you recognise that Chinese people are generally very fr ...

photo's ok,
but why is it deemed acceptable to touch a foreigner when it would not be acceptable to treat a fellow Chinese person (stranger) in the same way?

it is as if we are not human, more like zoo animals.
this is double standards.

it is not acceptable to touch a stranger, and especially children when child abduction is endemic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 19:56:51 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2017-1-15 19:26
When you have lived in China for long enough you recognise that Chinese people are generally very fr ...

so Chinese men 'are only being curious' when they try to grope me?
any other country that is considered sexual assault and not innocent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 20:19:53 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2017-1-15 19:56
so Chinese men 'are only being curious' when they try to grope me?
any other country that is consi ...

I suppose we are like zoo animals in that we are unusual to many Chinese people living outside westernised China. I have never witnessed such people behaving in a sexual inappropriate way though. I only refer to children touching my beard and hairy arms. Groping women is certainly not acceptable behaviour in China, or anywhere.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 21:02:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by BlondeAmber at 2017-1-15 21:05
TedM Post time: 2017-1-15 20:19
I suppose we are like zoo animals in that we are unusual to many Chinese people living outside wes ...

yet this is still considered only 'being curious' when they are caught inappropriate touching, or 'upskirting.'
by allowing children to touch you, while not wrong in itself, they are learning that it is ok to treat foreigners in this way: not as people, but as curiosities.

Friends of mine who have children intensely dislike locals touching their children and their children have become distressed as well. I would not touch a child who was a stranger to me, nor would i allow any stranger to touch a child i was responsible for.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-15 23:49:59 |Display all floors
Being 5' 11" and blonde I stick out like a sore thumb. We visit Kaili, City, Guizhou where there are not many foreigners.
Most are curious but I find the young ones want to be friendly and practice their English. I carry a small map of the Hawaiian Islands with me since most don't know where they are. Adults want to smoke or drink with you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.