Views: 2299|Replies: 25

Educatiion Metrics: Euroskills Gothenburg 2016 [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-29 17:20:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by seneca at 2016-12-29 17:22

Does education empower? How? Do Chinese pupils who passed the Gaokao exam have any real power they can market? Is their knowlege relevant for their jobs and future careers?

I give these tentative questions a resounding "No!". The Gaokao measures nothing important and prepares nobody for life. It is an academic test. Those who pass it stand at the threshold of adult life with gaping mouths and wide-open eyes, bewildered by what lies ahead. They have to add another few years of the same dreadful tedium of memorising before they hit the labour market. By then they have still no marketable skills.

On 1st of December, 2016, through 3rd December was held the Euroskills Competition in Gothenburg, Sweden. Contestants from a dozen countries demonstrated their occupational skills and many won medals. The top winning nation was Germany with over a dozen gold, silver and bronze medals plus an assortment of other awards stating that their bearers proved excellent motor skills in producing results with their minds and hands.

(To be continued)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-29 20:22:20 |Display all floors
This thread was initially planned to appear after my thread about China's disappointing PISA results. I will expand on the topic when I have time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-29 20:28:20 |Display all floors
Just this much for today:

Euroskills measures professional skills of people who have completed a vocational training.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-31 11:46:01 |Display all floors
Let me recycle my thread today.
Technical glitches' prevented me from continuing yesterday.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-31 11:48:12 |Display all floors

I started this thread to continue the discussion about the usefulness of PISA results.
I have been saying that PISA comparative studies misportray national education systems.
They cast a glaring light on very limited academic achievements by idle school pupils and thus raise false hopes and expectations for these young people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-31 11:52:07 |Display all floors

PISA results prove nothing; the subjects compared do not determine whether you are a suitable andidate for a job at a post office, a hospital or a bank.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-31 11:53:38 |Display all floors

University graduates have their degrees and universities get ranked nationally and internationally; graduates, however, don't. They have their degrees and compete in the job market for work.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.