Views: 1479|Replies: 6

How do foreigners view China after visiting China? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-12-21 16:46:28 |Display all floors
This is a European's view after visiting China. Do you agree or disagree? What's your view?

(Quora) I had a lot of prejudices about China before visiting. I am a European who travels a lot to USA so I have a very Western-centric view. Everything changed after China basically most prejudices are gone:

Prejudice 1) China is a developing country - FALSE

I don’t know what a “Developing country” means anymore but in the most populous areas China is clearly much more developed than Europe and USA. It has the newest roads bridges tunnels metros trains trainstations airports airplanes and more. Infrastructure is amazing and it definitely doesn’t feel like a “developing country”. Compare that to New York’s decade old slow and noisy subway and bumpy roads.

2. Prejudice 2) China is dangerous - FALSE

People tend to think of Chinese people as “sneaky”. I don’t know where this comes from. I was surprised to not having had ANY SINGLE dangerous or awkward situation in China during my 10 days trip quite far inside the country. It’s extremely safe and people are extremely honest. In Europe at night in cities like Paris you don’t feel very safe. Things happen and crowds of single men gather to intimidate random people. In Italy and Spain you get your bags stolen and stuff. In China it’s not even close. Everyone was extremely honest with us. There were situations where people could have easily screwed us without much effort but they never did not even the taxi drivers. Chinese people are amazing.

3. Prejudice 3) China is dirty - MITIGATED

Ok this one is not very straightforward. China is extremely polluted and in big cities you can SEE the pollution with your eyes. Also Chinese people spit in the streets and it’s very common to just spit your guts out. It’s quite horrible for foreigners. But was is surprising is how GREEN China is when it comes to vegetation. They pay extreme attention to beauty and city parks are just mindblowing. Everywhere it’s green and beautiful and big. It’s a huge contrast between how the air is polluted and how the parks are beautiful and clean.

4. Prejudice 4) China is messy - MITIGATED

Depends on the cities. Big cities are well organized and everything works well. Chinese are the new Japanese. In smaller cities traffic is chaotic but still everything works and is well organized. So China is very reliable for tourists if you organize yourself well because you’re going in a country where almost no one speaks english. (Although now they had at least 1 person in every major trainstation and national park who spoke perfect english it’s just random people on the street don’t speak at all).

Bottomline: China is amazing. It will become the next world leader by replacing the USA eventually I have no doubts about that. Most Westerns have an absolutely wrong view about it on many levels. Chinese are smart and willing enough to deal with their major problems like pollution it’s only a question of several years.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-21 21:33:29 |Display all floors

So ten days of travelling in China blows away all the news you had previously heard about what China is like: dangerous (it is but if you only spend ten days here as a tourist you are 99% likely to escape unharmed); it is not just "polluted", it is one huge cesspool (in our gated community people throw organic matter out of windows and guess what? There are rats as big as small cats running amuck!).

And here is a badly needed tip: don't write in such poor Chinglish when you want to pass yourself off as a "foreigner" with an authoritative view on China. You are a Chinese trying to change the image you have so diligently created for China for decades.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-21 21:34:57 |Display all floors

Also, if you really are a "European", why don't you identify yourself? Have you got a name? A country of origin? A gender? Were you born in the 19th century or before?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-23 01:07:02 |Display all floors
Quora

Unfortunately, the plethora of new users means the value of Quora’s content is likely to decrease. Already Quora users are seeing a spike in the number of planted questions, answered in a positive fashion by the companies that planted them.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-2 19:46:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by hugeguy at 2018-1-2 19:48
seneca Post time: 2016-12-21 21:33
So ten days of travelling in China blows away all the news you had previously heard about what C ...

I don't know have you been in China. As a Chinese person that lives in China for many years, I want to tell you that what you said doesn't exist. I don't live in a big city like Beijing or Shanghai. It's just a nameless small city. But since I was born, I have never been robbed even in midnight. So CHINA IS NOT A DANGEROUS COUNTRY. What you described is China in 1970s, but not the present. That is just happening in FEW poor areas.
(Please do not say about my Chinglish.)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-2 21:18:24 |Display all floors
hugeguy Post time: 2018-1-2 19:46
I don't know have you been in China. As a Chinese person that lives in China for many years, I want ...

China is dangerous. CHina is ULRA dangerous. In China females get killed or aborted before they can be borne because their mothers don't want a girl to be borne. How can you say CHina is safe when female fetuses get massacred or girls get drowned after birth?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-2 21:21:14 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-21 21:34
Also, if you really are a "European", why don't you identify yourself? Have you got a name? A coun ...

QUORA is the source of this post....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.