Author: petera

Putting Things in Perspective   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-20 06:52:47 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2016-12-19 22:38
I like the philosophy of John Stuart Mill (a 19th century English "utilitarian" philospher). He beli ...

Stuart Mill's philosophy is hopelessly out of touch with reality, even more so today than in his less crowded times.

There is no moral justification to make others suffer for "the greatest benefit of the majority" or "all".
This is an immoral proposition.

The utilitarian approach is materialistic and thus does not help people who live a self-determined but frugal life.  Stuart Mill's logic has led us down the road to environmental destruction especially noticeable in N America and the insane beliewf that more is better and everyone needs more money and more material comforts to sustain a "happy" life. What a pessimistic view this really is! The axiom of endless economic growth is an aberration.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-20 06:59:01 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-20 05:43
Stupid

That was a stupid post. You should be able to see that I am apportioning the guilt for our ...

I am not able to see that you are "apportioning the guilt for our predicament (which one might that be, please?) fairly."

No, Pet.

You have explicitly mentioned "the banksters". From habit you also will eventually name the Chosen People. Then it will go to the whole of the Western world and to Capitalism. I know your mindset and can read your thoughts as though your brain ws encased in a glass skull.

You have also already determined that the monotheistic religions are to blame. Not Buddha, not Manitou.

This shows that your telescope does not carry far enough back in time. Like certain Marksists, you think we have been living in Sodom and Gomorrha since around the 16th century. Shall I quote you to show your poorly constructed tower of logic?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-20 08:26:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-20 06:59
I am not able to see that you are "apportioning the guilt for our predicament (which one might  ...

Kissed

I actually kissed a 66 year old grandmother on the cheek last weekend. She belonged to your tribe. No cracks about Judas, for Christ's sake.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-20 13:24:08 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-20 08:26
Kissed

I actually kissed a 66 year old grandmother on the cheek last weekend. She belonged to you ...

Your suspicions about me are entertaining and amusing but not more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-21 05:54:15 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-20 06:59
I am not able to see that you are "apportioning the guilt for our predicament (which one might  ...

Predicament

You may argue that we are "progressing" and that life will continue indefinitely. The fact is however that we do not have energy sources that will take us into the future. I don't think there are infinite sources of coal and oil and gas. In any case the extraction of these substances and their combustion are devastating to the environment. Wind and solar power are unlikely to be of much use. That leaves the deadly alternative of nuclear fission. We are far past the point of no return. The forests and oceanic fish stocks that sustained our pre agricultural ancestors are gone and in any case there are too many of us to subsist naturally. If this isn't a predicament I don't know what is.
9/11 was an inside job.
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-21 06:46:00 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-21 05:54
Predicament

You may argue that we are "progressing" and that life will continue indefinitely. The ...

Finally my Pet is becoming rational again. Our perspectives are converging on this subject.

I have always been a practising Green. I abhor the consumerism that is spreading around the world.

Where I believe our perspectives don't mesh is in the belief as to who is to blame and what is to do.

I do not believe there is a single particular class that is to blame - for example the captains of industry and commerce or the governments. We all, every housewife, every husband and adolescent are to be held responsible.

What I find the most amazing and galling is to see how a nation of peasants such as the Chinese are morphing into throw-away consumers and urban dwellers. The stink they produce every day and the nonchalance by which they watch their natural environment going down the drain is shocking to me. Their combined CO2 imprint on the atmosphere has ballooned beyond recognition. It doesn't help to know that the U.S. Americans are worse polluters; the Chinese are the second worst, or perhaps the third worst with Indians occupying place two.

I can live with a fraction of their average power and water consumption. They don't even try to moderate their own. For cleranups they expecvt Big Government to muster the human power.

Meanwhile, my greatest hope in this dreary affair is how the Germans and Scandinavians deal with envirornmental issues. The only hope in fact are these countries, not the poor and not the N Americans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-21 19:34:53 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-21 06:46
Finally my Pet is becoming rational again. Our perspectives are converging on this subject.

I  ...

Some more than others

Most of the world's population, and their ancestors, had no say in the developments of the last two millennia. The religions, the philosophies, the wars, the cultures and the rest of it have been imposed by a tiny global elite. The concentration of power has reached it's zenith in the modern world and a tiny cabal dictates to the billions. I have stressed this on many occasions. But perhaps this is a natural  unavoidable state of affairs rooted in human nature, the nature of living things and the nature of the universe itself.
9/11 was an inside job.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.