Author: petera

Putting Things in Perspective   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-12-18 10:32:18 |Display all floors

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Are we talking about the same cyberattack where it was revealed that head of the DNC illegally gave Hillary the questions to the debate?
11:09 AM - 16 Dec 2016
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-18 11:04:22 |Display all floors

"I hope my enemies will permit me to post without harrassment as this is intended to be a less confrontational thread than some of the others I have posted."

Hihi!

( )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-18 11:06:32 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-18 07:49
Interesting Question

That is an interesting question . What is the truth ? What do you mean by cr ...

Good counter question.

Here is my tentative reply on your behalf:

"My job is to study creditable sources and to try to damage their creditability".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-18 11:12:59 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-18 07:58
Human Nature and Freedom

Freedom is always promoted as an absolute, desirable ideal. However it mus ...

Good philosophical point, Pet.

There are two kinds of freedom:
a) the wild freedom of a savage who kills to suyrvive, occasionally even a fellow human being. He or she is totally free from the taxman, the police, the magistrate, the doctor ("I told you smoking is bad for your health!") and society at large.

He lives on average less than 40 years. In some unfortunate cases, the freedom as well as the life of such a savage ends with an alligator eating him or her.

b) the other freedom is to live an average o 80 years, i.e. twice as long as the savage, confined to an opulently appointed apartment in a heavily-built up urban space; as long as you do not intrude upon other individuals' rights you are a free person. Yes, you pay your tithe to the community and state; you must respect social etiquette (don't kill your neighbour and eat his liver!). But you also are free to travel, to go to the savages and stay there for the rest of your life.

But if you do that your lifespan will dramatically shrink...

Up to you to choose!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-18 15:20:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-18 11:12

Choose

On the other hand the North Sentinelese vigorously oppose assimilation into post agricultural society. The Chinese, the Japanese and the Koreans resisted assimilation into a western dominated International community of nations. The lure of consumerism is powerful but there are wise forces that resist and that are overruled by gunships and other irresistible instruments of persuasion.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-18 15:45:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-18 11:12

Filter

My first reply was captured by the filter. I will make this brief and raise other issues. By "progressing" and living in opulently appointed apartments we make big demands on nature. 80% of the world's forests and vast numbers of species have disappeared forever.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-18 19:54:42 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-12-18 15:45
Filter

My first reply was captured by the filter. I will make this brief and raise other issues.  ...

Oh dear! That was a smart post. But totally off target. Even you must realise that.

I think you should reserve considerations of environmental issues for a separate post.

Let me point out an obvious fallacy of your belief: it isn't modern people who are to blame for the disappearance of many species.

It is population growth.

In ancienty times - and in cultural backwaters such as East Asia or Africa even today - the antiquated lifestyles and economies squander natural resources much more than modern civilisations (the West) do.
I do not want to belittle the negative impact of the West on the ecosystems of the Earth but it is difficult to ignore that developing nations in general don't preserve the environment well. For example Indonesia still practises the slash-and-burn way of destroying jungles in order to plant cash crops. This is an immensely destructive habit that China has practised until very recently too (it has lost nearly all pforest cover as a result and lots of animal species).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.