Author: seneca

P I S A : China Again Not Number One... [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-10 19:20:44 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2016-12-10 16:45
Is it good for some people, after turning to 18 years old or even younger, they become 'no-parents'  ...

The pupils who took part in these tests were 15 years old. Middle school pupils.

I shake your hand because you put the finger on the sorest point of it: these kids get sacrificed on the altar of national academic achievements.

But at what price?

As you so correctly pointed out: Chinese children are not given a chance at enjoying life until they havbe become mummy and daddy's academic overachiever.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-10 19:22:48 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-10 19:17
You do not seem to understand what the purpose of PISA is. All countries apart from China rank as  ...

Sorry, Dusty1:

this ppost was in reply to ABC's nonsensical bragging about Shanghai and Beijing's outstanding performance!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 20:57:26 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2016-12-10 20:50
Some people live for individual freedom & happiness, but not everybody.  Some people live not only f ...

The Chiense authorities have routinely gloated and bragged every time the latest PISA results were published; they normally showed that the Chiense pupils fared better than U.S. American ones.

This year is no different: the U.S.A. is far behind China. But China is not alone in the front group. There are Western countries that outperformed China.

Why does China only compare itself with the U.S.A.? The U.S.A. does not have a stellar record in education, contrary to popular beliefs. China should try to do better (just as everyone else is doing!) and not rest on its laurels because the U.S.A. doesn't get any.

In the end, education mattersnot because it is measurable but because people can individually use it as tools. I hold that Chinese do not learn how to use these tools even when they have a very good education. I will show you why I think that way!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 21:02:44 |Display all floors

I have gone through a number of newspaper comments about the latest PISA results; in the German, Italian, French, Belgian, Dutch and French media the comments stressed how much their own country needed to do to do better. For Europeans, the PISA results are not a reason to feel smug and superior; they are an encouragement to improve their countries' education systems.

But the Chiense have always stressed the "excellence" of their pupils "thanks to our education system" and the Chiense penchant to have the State tell its citizens and children what to do, and how.

I think China has yet to learn a big deal if it wants to keep up with the rest of the world.

There is no reason to feel complacent about the achievements China has made.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-10 21:03:23 |Display all floors

I have gone through a number of newspaper comments about the latest PISA results; in the German, Italian, French, Belgian, Dutch and French media the comments stressed how much their own country needed to do to do better. For Europeans, the PISA results are not a reason to feel smug and superior; they are an encouragement to improve their countries' education systems.

But the Chinese have always stressed the "excellence" of their pupils "thanks to our education system" and the Chinese penchant to have the State tell its citizens and children what to do, and how.

I think China has yet to learn a big deal if it wants to keep up with the rest of the world.

There is no reason to feel complacent about the achievements China has made.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-11 00:18:37 |Display all floors
Finland should not settle for anything less than number one spot.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-12-11 03:49:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-10 19:17
You do not seem to understand what the purpose of PISA is. All countries apart from China rank as  ...

Now you are beginning to understand the Western University mentality

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.