Author: seneca

P I S A : China Again Not Number One... [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-15 12:07:17 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2016-12-15 12:03
I think better warn you that based on our custom, it'll be very offending to give a bad example of y ...

I do believe you, Dee:rie; I never tell my mother-in-law how shocking it is for others that she has no teeth. She can't bite into a Hamburger although she relishes its taste, so I prepare some minced meat with cumin, salt, pepper, add onion rings and lettuce and serve that. She kisses me every time with tears in her eyes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-15 15:49:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2016-12-15 15:51
seneca Post time: 2016-12-15 12:03
I know a lot of people are smarter than the both of us; billions are smarter than you, and perha ...
Have you ever been to an African country??? One with "little wealth but more equal income distribution"??? If youy had been in Africa you would perhaps realise that your post is nonsense.

My comments were not opinions or personal observations, but citings from a scientific research done by competent scientists, published in academic peer-reviewed European journal.

This, and previous researchs on the subject, show that for statistical effect, decreasing gap between rich and poor is more effective way to improve children's physical health than allocating resources to PE education, especially if such allocation would be away from "important" subjects (namely the 3 PISA subjects).

In rest of your post, you call China to train more "carpenters, mechanics, plumbers, electricians with a solid training." in vocational schools.

Earlier you criticized China for concetrating on PISA subjects. Well guess what - quality employees in those vocational professions come with knowledge of math, science and reading - not sports, arts, or music.

If you want more of this type of professionals, then focusing in PISA subjects (not the rankings but the subjects) is right way to go.

What I agree with, and what has also been observed in west (at least in my home country) is that not all children should pursue higher degrees. But even those kids would do better with high scores in PISA subjects.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-12-16 13:29:56 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2016-12-15 15:49
My comments were not opinions or personal observations, but citings from a scientific research don ...

I may start a different thread to deal with this issue in detail. Obviously this thread has run it scourse and the Chinese officials may now feel it is preferable not to brag so noisily about their pupils' latest scores.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-14 08:48:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-12-16 13:29
I may start a different thread to deal with this issue in detail. Obviously this thread has run it ...

Many people are stupid. They think being able to recite "facts" equates to intelligence, and then they laugh at those who don't know. Actually they are the stupid ones, not the ones they laugh at.

The Chinese are good at memorizing and reciting facts and vomitting them out to impress on their knowledge. Does this equate with intelligence ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-14 12:14:35 |Display all floors
bushier Post time: 2018-5-14 08:48
Many people are stupid. They think being able to recite "facts" equates to intelligence, and then  ...

The Chinese define intelligence in terms of how people can regurgitate memorised facts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-14 13:36:16 |Display all floors
bushier Post time: 2018-5-14 08:48
Many people are stupid. They think being able to recite "facts" equates to intelligence, and then  ...

"The Chinese are good at memorizing and reciting facts and vomitting them out to impress on their knowledge. "

They can't always remember the facts.  Students who took part in oral English contest came before the penal of judges and regurgitated stories they had memorised, instead of telling the stories.  And some forgot what they had memorised, went blank and couldn't continue their storytelling and had to bow out!  Listening to them is like listening to a tape recorder play back! That is the danger of memorising instead of understanding and telling stories in their own words.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-14 16:32:50 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-5-14 13:36
"The Chinese are good at memorizing and reciting facts and vomitting them out to impress on their  ...

To Western teachers with experience in Chinese classrooms it is an astonishing discovery to make that the memory of their pupils is poor. A Western teacher can see that when he checks the scores of an English vocable test: While the pupils score perhaps high, they will most probably forget the words again within the next half a year because they have  to memorise new words that they never need in their interactions. It seems the Chinese short-term memory gets exercised the most while the long-term memory silently rusts...

It's no doubt going to get worse thanks to Internet sources and translating machines.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.