Author: Thunder4

Why China Can't Innovate   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-11-17 14:31:12 |Display all floors

I do not accept that Joseph Needham's myths about the Chinese informed the general Western people's thinking about China; in fact I learnt about him only after I came to China. Hisbeliefs were clearly motivated by his desire to please his future Chinese wife. He did a tremendous job at studying the history of Chinese inventions but he went to extremes in pushing his theory that China alayswas ahead of the world.

I believe China never had a civilisation more advanced than the most advanced civilisation somewhere else,be that the Near Est, Greece or Europe.

The truth is that most imulses that gave Chinese culture a strong boost came from outside: rice for example was first grown by Dai people in the regions south of the Yangtsi river. They produced the first wet rice continuously. The Chinese - ormakethem the Huaxia for they were not known as "Chinese" yet - learnt how to domesticate rice on their own but they were not able to produce it continuously.

Bronze was introduced to the Shang from somewhere else too, probably theNear East, Palestine or Egypt read the recent article about how the Shang made bronze with lead or tin from Egypt).

Iron came to China long after it had been known to the ancient Greeks think of the Alpine Hallstatt culture which was based on iron production 800 B.C.); in China iron started being used from around the 5th century B.C.

Let us note in passing that China owes much to the peoples in Central Asia, some of whose national territories it invaded and stole. The ancient cities of Turpan, Kashgar, Korle, Kotian were inhabited by urban peoples whose livelihoods revolved around metallurgy, trade, manufacture. Thanks to them the exchange of new ideas travelled along the Silk Road long before the Silk Road was formally established.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 14:38:10 |Display all floors
Skunker Post time: 2016-11-17 10:23
Bad genes.

I don't think they have bad genes. How can "bad genes" produce a whole nationof individuals whose aveage I.Q. is above that of other peoples?

No, it isto do with their culture. A patronising culture in which a strongman dominates the lives of hundreds of millions of subjects wholook up to theirleader as their ueber father.

Chinese adults don't acquire the autonomy that European adults do. They always need a guide in their lives, one who tells them what to do, how to do things,

I once sat in a longdistance train that arrived at its final destinationearly in the morning. The public announcement system ent on and the followingmessage was broadcast: "Dear passengers, please get up, listen to Radio Beijing, go to the bathroom, wash your face and brush your teeth. Prepare to be ready to alight shortly."
Elsewhere in the world, passengers do not need to be told to wash their faces and brush their teethbut this is China...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 14:39:54 |Display all floors
Thunder4 Post time: 2016-11-17 00:36
The Mandarin system and appointment by examination, which started as early as the 7th century AD, ar ...

So true.

And that explains probably why the Chinese totally lack civic mindedness, manners, a respectable and decent form of patriotism (as opposed to the rabid nationalistic one that we occasionally witness here).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 14:42:36 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2016-11-17 10:17
It's actually a lot simpler - the Chinese system of learning by rote does not nurture independent  ...

The current ruling clique strongly objects to independent thought on the part of its ruled. They want to preserve their privilege of "knowing what is right" and of making decisions that are binding for the rest of their flocks. Learning by rote conveniently fills time. No one esccapes the duty of killingtheir spare time with memorising things and thus having no time to enjoy life or to make quality decisions of their own.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 19:09:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2016-11-17 19:34

CPC killed off a generation of innovators (mentally if not physically) during cultural revolution, and in this century the type of innovation that may have helped China to progress during earlier dynasties does not help at all.

OP makes good writing, but in this perspective it is really irrelevant. China's handicaps toward innovation arise from much more recent history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 20:01:01 |Display all floors
Skunker Post time: 2016-11-17 11:08
Yet, the OP failed to mention that for all the innovative abilities of the Caucasians, they will s ...

Protection from multiculturalism? Are you aware that China officially has 52 cultures not including foreigners? But I thought that China was heading for off-world development (and good luck to them) so perhaps you should advise the Chinese government that horses aren't going to do them a lot of good out there and that they are wasting their investment.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-17 20:06:58 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2016-11-17 14:38
I don't think they have bad genes. How can "bad genes" produce a whole nationof individuals whose  ...
"Dear passengers, please get up, listen to Radio Beijing, go to the bathroom, wash your face and brush your teeth. Prepare to be ready to alight shortly."

I expect my wife was behind that - I think she married me so she could do my thinking for me.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.