Views: 2142|Replies: 5

English Discussion Group at IKEA restaurant [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-7-27 17:23:05 |Display all floors
I am interested in starting a discussion group, NOT an English learning group. It would be held each week in the evening (probably Wednesday) at IKEA (4th Ring Road Bridge) in the restaurant and is for IELTS-level English.

Each week we would start with some topic and see where the discussion goes. It will last about an hour but we may go on longer if the discussion is interesting and is going well. You can come and go when you like. You can choose the topic for discussion for the next week if you want to.

Because I enjoy discussions, it would be free, no money involved, but your English needs to be strong enough to be able to give your opinion freely on the subject under discussion and to take an active part in the group not just listen to others. This obviously means you have to have quite advanced English skills, but also means you want to improve yourself too.

I am targeting IELTS students mainly because you will probably be going overseas to study.  You may need to build up your confidence levels too, so when you get to the foreign university you can take part in tutorial discussions when you are in your chosen course. However, you dont have to be an IELTS student, anyone can come along who wants to join in the discussion and who is interested.

About me - I am not a teacher, and I have no formal English Language training but I am British so my native language is English. Hopefully we can have fun discussing various topics and agreeing or disagreeing, each with our own different opinions.

Is anyone interested in coming to this kind of discussion group?

testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-28 16:16:01 |Display all floors
"IKEA, 4th Ring Road Bridge"?  I assume this is in China but you don't state which city. A full address in both English, pinyin and mandarin would have been useful to anybody considering going.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-28 16:49:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ocpaul20 at 2016-7-28 16:52

Sorry, Beijing.

Anyone in Beijing will know the 4th Ring Road Bridge and IKEA which is within yards of that. I agree I should have said it was in Beijing.

People who need an address in pinyin and Chinese probably aren't going to want to join the discussion. However, it is something I need to remember for next time I post anything similar.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-28 16:58:12 |Display all floors
Strange, I replied then edited that reply and the post disappeared forever, even when I refreshed the page.

Anyway, Yes, I am sorry. It is in Beijing.

Anyone who lives in Beijing probably knows where the 4th Ring Road Bridge is, and also where IKEA is too as it is within yards of that.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-20 03:08:29 From mobile |Display all floors
I am in London so can't join you. When I have attended groups like this, announcing the topic ahead of time and issuing a word/phrase list helps less able speakers (like me!) to join in.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-8-24 16:11:12 |Display all floors
Thanks Dave.
The topic is pretty much open to anything anyone is interested in. There does not seem to be much interest in this thread for some reason which I cannot understand, Maybe it is because folks want to know they are getting technically good English similar to what would be taught by an English teacher.

However, I feel like after you know a certain amount of English, then you just need English practice and discussing things is a way to not focus on the English itself but more on the topic. Kind-of like taking your mind off the English needing to be absolutely 100% correct - which it doesn't.

Native English people are probably going to understand you as long as you can string a sentence together.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.