Views: 9094|Replies: 31

Would you take your baby for a backpacking journey? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-6-7 14:47:44 |Display all floors

Wen Wen, 4, from east China's Jiangxi Province, has been on backpacking journeys since she was 15 months old. [radio.jxntv.com]

Kindergarten can wait? That was the view of the parents of four year old Wen Wen, a couple from Shangrao in east China's Jiangxi Province.

They decided, when she was just 15 months old, to take their daughter on a backpacking journey across half of China.

When they first started, Wen Wen's father says she could barely keep up with travelling 15-20 kilometers a day on foot.

However, as she grow older she got more and more exercise, she eventually was able to walk most of the journey all by herself.

Each day, according to her father, they covered up to 30 kilometers a day, sleeping in a tent, and feasting on herbs.

But as their story gained media attention, people started to criticize the parents for not caring enough for the little girl.

Some Weibo users reposted the story saying "parents should let their child go to kindergarten and have a stable life, not constantly be moving or traveling. And they should not let their own plans triumph over the kid's educational needs."

The mother argues that the hiking and backpacking trips have made Wen Wen stronger and more independent in comparison to other girls of her age living in the big city.

According to her parents, they plan to let Wen Wen skip kindergarten and go to primary school two years later.

Next month, says her father, the family will set off again heading to Tibet via southwest China's Sichuan Province.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-7 14:48:28 |Display all floors

Undated photo shows Wen Wen, a four-year-old girl on a backpacking trip with her parents. [radio.jxntv.com]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-7 14:49:10 |Display all floors

Undated photo shows Wen Wen, a four-year-old girl on a backpacking trip with her parents. [radio.jxntv.com]

(Source: CRIENGLISH.com)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-6-7 19:42:51 |Display all floors
Kids should interact with other kids in order to be well rounded individuals.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-7 19:57:23 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-6-7 19:42
Kids should interact with other kids in order to be well rounded individuals.

I agree

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-7 19:59:16 |Display all floors
Children need their friends, my children suffered every time we moved with the military, every two years. I had pity for my kids they hated moving around the country

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-6-7 20:02:08 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-6-7 19:59
Children need their friends, my children suffered every time we moved with the military, every two y ...

Seems like selfish parents to me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.