Views: 12200|Replies: 46

Why is there an epidemic of short-sightedness?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2016-6-6 16:16:45 |Display all floors

According to a white paper on the visual health of the Chinese population, one out of every three Chinese people over the age of five is nearsighted. 437 million to 487 million, or 35.16 to 39.21 percent, of the Chinese population aged above five suffer from myopia – with 29 million to 30.4 million, or 2.33 to 2.47 percent, living with a high degree of myopia.

Why are so many people nearsighted? What's the solution to China's myopia epidemic?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-6 17:29:04 |Display all floors
Simplely speaking, the one who wearing glasses can impress others that he or she love study and is a good child. In China, if you are recognized as a good child, you can receive  more praise and award from parents or relatives or teachers.
Poor children!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-6-6 20:53:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-6 21:04:40 |Display all floors
I suffer from it as well, but back in my day all you had were glasses. Nowadays there are all kinds of solutions with implantable lens etc...
A bigger worry is the retinal can detach as you get older. It happened to me twice!!!
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-6 21:47:14 |Display all floors
too much burden ..?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-6-7 07:41:15 |Display all floors
Epidemic is the wrong word and anyway this is nothing new, Chinese people have had this problem for a long time and is in many ways hereditary.

The comment about kids wearing glasses being considered smart is nonsense, my youngest does not like wearing her glasses at school as other kids make fun of spectacle wearers.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-7 10:04:50 |Display all floors
The good news is technology is changing and even being blind could be a thing of the past shortly. Patients i america and uk have recently been using stem cells, and have regained enough vision to see a car registration number. One man who was blind in his left eye for 55 years regained vision after using stem cells. Whilst docs are saying its still very early, this treatment could be avsailable on the NHS within  years..
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.