Author: supersally6

Scientists Say Chinese People Don't Feel Empathy and Guilt   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-9-1 21:16:08 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2015-9-1 21:08
I think my observation is as scientific as the OP.....just less wordy.

You should attend one of Mr Trump's speeches and ask him point-blank: Mister Trump, is it true that genetically speaking you are a CHINESE?

I bet you will be flying back to Malaysia faster than you have entyered the U.S.A.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 21:39:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-9-1 21:41
Revolutionar Post time: 2015-9-1 21:08
I think my observation is as scientific as the OP.....just less wordy.

Westerner: "white cats are good; black cats are bad."
East Asian: "it doesn't matter if a cat is white or black, as long as it catches mice it is a good cat."

Westerner: "to be or not to be, that is the question."
East Asian: "to be or not to be, it doesn't matter as long as you can eat."

Westerner: "man is sinful because of his desire for woman."
East Asian: "it doesn't matter if a person is a man or woman, if one has desire one is sinful."

Westerner: "we hold this truth to be nothing but the truth because the Bible says so."
East Asian: "we don't know what is the truth; that's why we need to find the Way of Heaven."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 23:10:04 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-9-1 18:48
But they won't cheat and defraud their own family, friends, relatives and villagers, would they? Fo ...

There are sociologists who study the endogenous basis of trust in the formation of social capital in heteregeneous environments. So in a big city like Shenzhen full of migrant workers, the exogenous basis of mistrust forces groups of people to form endogenous circles of trust based on intrinsic characteristics shared by the group such as kinship, language, village, etc.

This is noticeable in a cosmopolitan society such as NYC, one reason why I believe groups of people from similar cultural backgrounds tend to stick together e.g. Chinatown, Italien-town, Hells Kitchen (Irish) etc
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 23:20:23 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-9-1 18:48
But they won't cheat and defraud their own family, friends, relatives and villagers, would they? Fo ...

...The OP is playing with a logical fallacy called false attribution: falsely attributing ethnic/cultural factors as contributing to the lack of trust in post-Deng China....

Indeed.

She subscribes to a single thought experiment, without any control groups and countervailing thesis to test her theory in practice.

At a guess, she is one of those one-track minded, primitive thinker influenced by big words and pseudo science she barely comprehends. These people are easily misled, guide her, lead her, let her see the multi-variate spectrum of thoughts and theories, often overlapping, in social science

Incidentally, Chinese do feel guilt.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-9-2 05:50:07 |Display all floors
Where is the reference to this fiction?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-9-2 09:41:42 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2015-9-1 23:10
There are sociologists who study the endogenous basis of trust in the formation of social capital  ...

Yes, I can see that point. Immigrants tend not to have much empathy for peoples of other origins than their own and soon form ghettoes. It is a phenomenon that is showing now in Europe too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-2 10:28:09 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-9-1 20:53
You are the first to apprise me that GUILT is an "EMOTION"... I have always considered it not a  ...

'They never seem to feel guilty when they break a law; all they care for is to break that law with impunity. They cut corners to save money, knowing that they are doing something wrong.'

For once you've said something sensible, and I have to agree with you here!  They don't have guilt, otherwise there won't be so many cheats and fraudsters, and scammers too!  And some even venture overseas to carry out their frauds to avoid the Chinese police, who are quite good at catching them and repatriating them home!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.