Author: supersally6

Scientists Say Chinese People Don't Feel Empathy and Guilt   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-9-1 14:54:23 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2015-9-1 14:39
That's quite true!  Why do you think there are so many cheats and fraudsters in China?  They have no ...

It's a genetic weakness of the Han people, but genetic engineering can fix the problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 14:56:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-9-1 15:00
Kbay Post time: 2015-9-1 14:47
So your Chinese "wife" has been cheating on you?

I can't blame her. Young and handsome Chinese men ...

That is your personal opinion.  What I said about frauds is factual, not just a fancy opinion like yours!
Never a day passes without media reports of people being conned of tens of thousands of yuan!  And fraud has become a full time proefession for many, and they don't even have to meet their victims, it's all done through the phone or internet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 16:14:21 |Display all floors
The OP confuses empathy -- which is an emotional reaction of a person showing concern for the suffering of others -- with guilt -- which is also an emotional reaction of a person feeling sorry for his deeds. Two differing emotions: the former is directed at OTHERS while the latter is directed at ONESELF.

East Asians do have empathy for the suffering of others: Confucianism teaches compassion for ALL humans while Buddhism goes further by preaching love for ALL sentient beings. What East Asians don't have is the Western "guilt" complex which came from the concept of the Original Sin in the Christian Bible. Instead, Confucianism preaches the idea of the perfectability of imperfect humans by cultivating virtue -- morally, spiritually and intellectually -- in the secular affairs of State and Society while Buddhism goes the other way by promoting the idea of achieving the state of perfection by purging oneself of worldly desires and divorcing oneself from the secural affairs of the imperfect world.

The OP has a superficial understanding of the role that "shame" play in the social rituals governing East Asian societies because he ignores the underlying philosophical reasons for such concepts as "shame" which is based on the neo-Confucianist metaphysics of Zhu Xi and Wang Yangmin. The Japanese Code of the Bushido, for example, was heavily influenced by Wang Yangmin's School of the Mind as well as Ch'an Buddhism's Spiritual Humanism. After the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate, Zhu Xi's neo-Confucianism became the official State ideology which the Shoguns used to rule over a Japan plagued by centuries of civil strife and incessant warfare amongst Samurai clans. In addition to "shame", the Samurai believed in "honor" and "loyalty" the failure of which results in "shame" necessitating oneself to commit harakiri or suicide by disembowelment with a knife.

Sorry but this thread is quite shallow.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 18:17:45 |Display all floors
Learn to be free from the clutches of dear leaders.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 18:22:59 |Display all floors

Emotions,  empathy, guilt are not easy to study and tricky to attribute by race.

They change according to prevailing situations, leaders, circumstances....none of which is permanent or repeatable.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 18:26:30 |Display all floors

But I make one exception

I will say Chinese language and hence Chinese are analogues thinkers.....

English and Western languages are digital and analytical thinkers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-9-1 18:46:43 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2015-9-1 18:26
But I make one exception
I will say Chinese language and hence Chinese are analogues thinkers.....

East Asians think in multiple dimensions...

English and Western languages are digital and analytical thinkers.

Westerners think in one dimension...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.